How do i?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sophi_star

Hi,

I am fairly new to cycling and was wondering if anyone would be able to advise how I would change the inner tube when I have brake discs!

Thanks in advance

:biggrin:

Bman

Guru
Not really very differently to rim brakes.

When you take the wheel off, the disc should come out of the brake calliper.

You may need to re-align the brake calliper after you replace the wheel. I do this by loosening the two bolts, pulling the brake so that the calliper moves into the correct position, then tighten slowly.

Norm

Easier than rim brakes, as you don't need to move the brake blocks out of the way to get the wheel / tyre out.

You'll need to make sure the wheel is correctly seated afterwards, though. If it is slightly misaligned, you'll be able to tell the pads will touch the disc when you spin the wheel. There are plenty of benefits of having the wheel in straight, so it's better to get it properly seated rather than move the brake calliper to allow for misalignment.

IMO.

Practice doing it a few times somewhere warm first. Dropping the disc back into the calliper takes a few attempts, as there isn't much of a slit to aim at. I've found the easiest way is to turn the bike over (so it rests on the bars and saddle, protect them before you do it, though) and let gravity help rather than fight what you are trying to do.

02GF74

Über Member
no difference.

just make sure you never pull the brake lever when the disc is out of the caliper.

as to why and how to fix it, will be your next question I guess.
(I am assuming hydraulic disc brakes naturally).

Top Bottom