How do lock your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I usually use a simple cable lock to lock my bike to 2 or 3 other CycleChatters' bikes on cafe stops on forum rides. It would be inconvenient if it was nicked but I have new-for-old cover so a new bike would only cost me my policy excess of £50 (or is it £100?).

That practice will have to stop, however, because I was reading the small print in my insurance policy documents today and it stated that the bike must be locked to an 'immovable structure' or to a motor vehicle! I can use a crappy lock, that's okay, but if I lock it to 30 kgs of other bikes, it will not be covered!

:stop:- CHECK YOUR INSURANCE DOCUMENTS!

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I wonder have any studies been done and data compiled on bike theft? It might be useful to know what methods have been used to steal what type and value of bike and what locks were used or defeated in the attempt. It sounds a bit too complicated and difficult to have been done by anyone but it would be interesting nevertheless.

yello

Tbh, I never lock it but that's testimony to where I live. I've even left the GPS on it on occasions.

With my town bike I tend to D'lock (NY faggetaboutit or Evolution) through the rear wheel and stays to an immoveable object (preferably a Sheffield type stand) and even though I have a security skewer on the front wheel I also use a Kyrptonite cable, its also useful for ensuring that the bike is the right way up when I get back. On the road bikes which are not left out of sight its only a cafe lock or nothing :ohmy:

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I use a chunky Abus cable lock through the front wheel and an Abus D-lock through the back. Probably overkill for a £200 bike but when I bought the them I knew I'd be buying a better bike at some point so it was easier to shell out for the decent locks at the time.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
normal braided cable lock

Kiss goodbye to the bike soon then !

Me, a NY Fagh through frame and wheel below rear brake and round sheffield stand - very tight fit and takes practice. ABUS Bordo round front wheel, frame and sheffield stand. Cable lock through saddle and pannier rack.

Bman

Guru
I use a normal cable lock too. But I only ever leave my bikes out of my sight for a minute or two. Usually less than that.

If I were to leave it any longer, I would also use a d-lock through the rear seat-stays. I dont usually take the D-lock with me.

kishan

i never have had to leave a bike alone for more then 1 oe 2 minutes its only when i go to the corner shop to get a paper or something other than that its garaged.

scouserinlondon

At work I have a Kryptonite new York d lock through the front wheel, bike rack and frame. With a large motorcycle chain through the rear triangle and bike rack too. Most secure bike in the car park, that's all you can do in my view.

upandover

Guru
I leave my mountain bike over Liverpool, including in town, and it looks pretty good, so i pretty much constantly carry a heavy duty bike chain for the fromt wheel and frame, a good mini ulock, and a cable extender. Having said that Liverpool doesn't have any big hills, so the extra weight isn't a bad thing. Most people here just use a single cable lock on the frame, so i'm feeling ahead of the game.

Top Bottom