How do lock your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycle

As a family we have a number of cheap (£15) cable locks with 4-barrel combinations on them. They are generally carried wrapped around some part of the bars or stem. I ask the kids not to leave computers (cheapo Cateye Strada), pumps and lights on bikes, but they often do. I often forget to take mine off too.

Location is key in avoiding theft or damage. Anywhere out of sight is no good. The busier the better.

In London I behave differently. Still the cheapo cable lock, but wheels come off and I wrap them all up in a bundle with the frame. The urban commuter has no QR for the saddle. If it's the fixopholous, the rear stays on even in London.

No bicycle I ride is worth more than £1,000 and the nicest one is really used only for 'rides' so never gets left anywhere. None of them looks 'flash' or carries particularly high-end componentry. I find that helps.

I often see quite understandable rants or laments online from people who've had £3,000 or £5,000 bicycles stolen. Sometimes it's a collection of three or four £3,000 bikes owned by a couple. It is saddening to see. That is a lot of money.

I find it odd, however, that people are surprised about bike theft. Many are worth more than a used car. Once stolen, they are easier to transpost en masse, easier to strip for parts and in the absence of a DVLA equivalent they are easier to sell and disguise.

If I were a thief, I'd be after bicycles.

For all that, a cheapo cable does it for me.

Top Bottom