How do professional cyclists manage to get such incredibly low resting heart rates?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
How do they manage to lower the resting heart rate (heart rate in the 30s for example)? Is it the years of training or do they have a different physiology? My resting heart rate tends to be in the 90s so I find this shocking.
Im a lifelong cyclist, now in my 50's. Far fitter than average, but far from the level of a pro athlete and my RHR can go as low as 33 in my sleep, although high 30s is more the norm. Sitting about at home, such as on the sofa reading a book, mid to high 40s is my norm, and I'm nothing particularly specual fitness wise.

Having said all that my Dad is in his 70s and hasnt done any strenuous exercise in 30 years and his RHR is still only mid 50s.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When I was younger, fitter, and slimmer I got my RHR down to the low 30s. I thought my heart rate monitor was broken because it always read 40 bpm, never 39, 41 (whatever). It turned out to be the minimum number that device could display. I bought a different monitor and it showed the real numbers were more like 33, 35, 34, 35, 33...

I knew it was very low because I could hear it when lying quietly in bed. It would kind of go...
ba-bump... (Mississippi, Mississippi)... ba-bump... (Mississippi, Mississippi)... ba-bump... (Mississippi, Mississippi)...

It is much higher now, probably 50s, though I don't measure it these days.

My maximum used to be at least 200 bpm when I was in my 30s but it is probably much lower than that now.

Sharky

Guru
A few years ago, I was getting a lift home in an ambulance. The medics were a bit worried when my heart rate was displaying 38 bpm. But when I told them my resting heart was usually 44bpm, they were a bit happier.

si_c

Guru
Resting HR is a function of physiology and training, some have a lower HR than others - I sit around 45 when at my desk working and soaking in caffeine. Overnight it drops to mid-30s.

That being said I struggle to raise my HR above 170ish. If your resting heart rate is in the 90s, that's not entirely healthy and if you haven't seen your GP then it might be worth a visit.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Resting HR is a function of physiology and training, some have a lower HR than others - I sit around 45 when at my desk working and soaking in caffeine. Overnight it drops to mid-30s.

That being said I struggle to raise my HR above 170ish. If your resting heart rate is in the 90s, that's not entirely healthy and if you haven't seen your GP then it might be worth a visit.
I have seen the gp about it, they don't seem too worried at all.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

You’re 19 and your resting heart rate is in the 90s. We’re all different but it might be sensible to consult a Dr!! How are you measuring it?

I’m 48, overweight and mine is constantly mid 50s (measured by different wearables and at hospitals)
I have a blood pressure monitor, I went to the gp about it, sometimes it is resting in the low 100s and the gp didn't seem to be worried at all. They did some tests too but everything seems to be ok.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Blimey, I just measured mine at 60bpm and I'm a 42yo frazzled stressed out autistic (therefore anxious) parent of two young children. OP are you sure you're measuring correctly?
Yes I have a blood pressure monitor and I had it measured with a hospital one too and the result are the same.

Drago

Legendary Member

Aye, if I push mine as high as 165 I feel like im about to explode!

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

The heart is a muscle. The more exercise it gets the bigger it gets. So a trained athletes heart will pump more blood around with each beat.

Yours does sound high. Are you measuring it properly ?
I have a blood pressure monitor I assume it is measuring correctly as the hospital blood pressure monitor gave the same results. My blood pressure is good though 90/60. The doctors aren't too concerned at all.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Aye, if I push mine as high as 165 I feel like im about to explode!
You've got me curious now... I wonder what my maximum is these days? I'm sure that it is still well over 150 but there is no way that it can still be 200!

I have to be slightly careful though. I used to be able to push myself as hard as I liked and all that happened was that I got out of breath and tired. If I really push hard now I can trigger arrhythmia which can last for 12-24 hours. I'll see how high the pulse goes for a ~95% effort and leave it at that!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I have a blood pressure monitor I assume it is measuring correctly as the hospital blood pressure monitor gave the same results. My blood pressure is good though 90/60. The doctors aren't too concerned at all.
Blood pressure isn't heart rate :okay:

Systolic (90) is the pressure per heart beat
Diastolic (60) is the pressure of blood when the heart is at rest.

Heart rate in BPM, is the number of times per minute your heart pushes blood

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Young people tend to have a higher heart rate, but good that you have had it checked out. I think HR must be genetic to some extent because even though I am overweight and fairly unfit (atm) my resting heart rate is usually 50 or less. I have had issues with very bad palpitations in the past and one factor is possibly that a slower heart rate allows the errant heartbeat to sneak in because the gaps are longer. When I have the 24hr monitors they usually flag up 'Brachycardia' overnight as it drops when I'm asleep.

It's always worth keeping an eye on your HR and blood pressure. The machines are fairly cheap these days and I would certainly recommend older folk to get one.

https://www.boots.com/health-pharma...lood-pressure-monitor-upper-arm-unit-10217394

Top Bottom