How do professional cyclists manage to get such incredibly low resting heart rates?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You've got me curious now... I wonder what my maximum is these days? I'm sure that it is still well over 150 but there is no way that it can still be 200!

I have to be slightly careful though. I used to be able to push myself as hard as I liked and all that happened was that I got out of breath and tired. If I really push hard now I can trigger arrhythmia which can last for 12-24 hours. I'll see how high the pulse goes for a ~95% effort and leave it at that!

How will you know what 95% is going to be? :tongue:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How will you know what 95% is going to be? :tongue:
Good point! :okay:

That what the tilde sign ('~') was intended for. I use it when I mean 'approximately'. Perceived effort, and all that...

I'll go up a 20% hill in survival mode... Low gear, steady twiddling. As opposed to standing up and busting a gut trying to go as quickly as possible!

Good point! :okay:

That what the tilde sign ('~') was intended for. I use it when I mean 'approximately'. Perceived effort, and all that...

I'll go up a 20% hill in survival mode... Low gear, steady twiddling. As opposed to standing up and busting a gut trying to go as quickly as possible!

Oh yes I don't think anyone is going up a 1in 5 looking at their HRM. It's just a matter of keeping going and not falling off!

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Blood pressure isn't heart rate :okay:

Systolic (90) is the pressure per heart beat
Diastolic (60) is the pressure of blood when the heart is at rest.

Heart rate in BPM, is the number of times per minute your heart pushes blood
My blood pressure monitor also measures heart rate

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
That depends on who's been in bed with you ;)
My HR raises when I see you quoting me, big boy :tongue:

You've got me curious now... I wonder what my maximum is these days? I'm sure that it is still well over 150 but there is no way that it can still be 200!

I have to be slightly careful though. I used to be able to push myself as hard as I liked and all that happened was that I got out of breath and tired. If I really push hard now I can trigger arrhythmia which can last for 12-24 hours. I'll see how high the pulse goes for a ~95% effort and leave it at that!
I think mine is that but I've not really pushed post my op. I was thinking that I should lower it but my last 10mile TT (weekend before last) I averaged 92.5% and maxed at 98% and never felt like I was pushing to the edge. On Sunday for 1h1m28secs I averaged 91.5% and maxed at at 96%. I think I could hit 200bpm still but at 45 y/o and post op I dont want to try and find out :okay:
My mate who's the same age as me will hit 200bpm on every ride and often 201 or 202. Yet my other mate whose 10 years younger and outstandingly cycling fit I think maxes around 180bpm :okay:

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I don’t normally use a heart rate monitor on my bike rides, but I can easily keep between 160 and 168 bpm going for over 20 minutes on my cross trainer, and then it’s only the monotony that stops me. Also, I’ll bet that at 7.5 bpm my resting heart rate is lower than anyone else here on Cyclechat.

Luckily I now have a pacemaker that steps in and stops my resting heart rate from dropping so low.

Top Bottom