How do they repaint frames?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zippy

I am interested to know what the respray technique is for a cycle frame. I have done whole panel resprays on my own car and come out with good results, but I imagine the sequence is different for a cycle.

For a car the sequence is primer, basecoat (the colour), then the clearcoat – the clear UV resistant coating that protects the colour. This would result in too thick a coat of paints where the frame is subject to axles being screwed down onto the paintwork etc.

What is the usual procedure for frame repaints? Is it usual to completely strip the frame of paint or (like a car) is it best to leave the factory coat on because it is a much stronger bond to the metal than any repaint could be?

PpPete

Legendary Member
I've stripped one bare. Looks like sh&t...but that may be my lack of skill. Also the clear coat seemed to soften the underlying coats, so drying times are much extended beyond those quoted by paint mfr.
It has not proved to be a long-lasting finish at all. One day I will strip all the bits off and get it powder-coated.

Another one I just lightly abraded the original surface, and used a colour as close to the original as poss. That seemed to me to work a lot better.
I'm still in process of assembling necessary components for it, when it's done we shall see how robust it is.

Either way you need to mask the BB threads. Wouldn't worry about paint thickness on the drop-outs, it always gets chewed up there anyway.

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

Sounds like it makes more sense to realise that bikes are meant to be ridden and just touch up any chips that go to the metal to stop rusting - like what I do with Hammerite!

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

Is powedercoating any tougher than the factory paintwork?

If I present a frame stripped of peripherals and paintwork, any idea what the general cost would be to have the bike powdercoated in one colour?

Stove enamel - now there's an idea ;). The rate at which I am retouching my frame I will have a cycle painted in Hammerite!

PpPete

Legendary Member
I was quoted £50 for choice of colours. or £35 for black or white as they have colours running all the the time, and don't have to spend time swopping out colours, cleaning lines etc.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Powdercoating is quite cheap, but it's durable. Enamelling is expensive, but you get a fantastic finish (mosy quality steel bikes will be painted with these paints).

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

I've just been quoted £110 frame and forks one colour by Argos Racing (Bristol). I think that's for basecoat and clearcoat 2 pack (car) paints though which is not what I'm after if at all.

As I say, unless its a good tough job I'm probably better off touching up with Hammerite!

tyred

Legendary Member
You can get an excellent finish with Japlac enamel in my experience and it's pretty tough as well. Just treat any rusty spots with Hammerite Kurust, Jenolite or similar first.

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

Japlac enamel - is that brush applied and then wetsanded to remove any brushmarks? Presumably no clearcoat to apply afterwards and applying the Japlac straight over rubbed down factory coat.

Its just that on doing a maintenance strip down I notice the frame is showing so many places that need a touch up it may be easier and better looking to just respray the entire frame. Not worried about decals tbh; may consider my own graffitti!

Dave5N

Über Member
Zippy said:
Is powedercoating any tougher than the factory paintwork?

If I present a frame stripped of peripherals and paintwork, any idea what the general cost would be to have the bike powdercoated in one colour?

What do you mean by tough? Probably harder, probably more brittle.

£15 - £25 That would include stripping the old paint (dip and blasted)

nuovo_record

just had a frame painted...they prime it, rubbed it down, colour layer, rubbed back and then a top coat - and oven dried - looks really good.
cost me £50 but worth it.

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

£110 I was quoted and no mention of baking the frame - just 2 pack prime, basecoat and activated clear. Perhaps these prices carry a Cornish Wreckers levvy!

tyred

Legendary Member
Zippy said:
Japlac enamel - is that brush applied and then wetsanded to remove any brushmarks? Presumably no clearcoat to apply afterwards and applying the Japlac straight over rubbed down factory coat.

It is brush applied and I've done it as you suggested over the flattened back foriginal paint. I've never tried to remove brush marks. If you take your time with a good quality paintbrush, it shouldn't have any noticeable brush mark. If you go down this route, treat any rust with Hammerite Kurust first.

Top Bottom