How do you choose the right gearing for your fixed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
2597993 said:
Bigger = Smoother and quieter.
They do say that. But I've not noticed a lack of smooth and any particular noise thus far. I accept smaller probably means more chain/cog/chainring wear though. Small price to pay. In my ears eyes.

D

Deleted member 1258

2597126 said:
Nicer tyres?

Same make of tyre just different width

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/.Bontrager-Race-Lite-Hardcase-Road-Tyre_119612.htm

It is a compromise.

Most seem to be between 65" and 69".

I've variously run 65" up to 72" on my fixed steel Claud Butler. All have been perfect on one stretch of tarmac and laughably wrong on another.

I've always found hills for which I'm geared too high and descents for which I'm geared too low. But it's always fun finding out.

I once saw a documentary programme about a burglar who not only tested to destruction the furniture in the house she entered, but ate all the porridge too.

Although from a moral standpoint her behaviour was dispicable, we can all learn from her when it comes to setting gear for a fixie.

Many of us will try all three before deciding that Baby Bear's porridge is just right.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Wot he said ^
I upped my gearing by one tooth at the back to make 70inches, so I could go a bit faster on the flat. I'm still spinning like a washing machine at 22/23mph but if I went any higher gearing wise I'd not get up some of the hills around here. Going downhill is a bit of a moot point to me as most downhills are pretty steep here and so I'm on the brakes most of the time so I don't end up going too fast:surrender:
I might try going up another tooth as I get a bit stronger, but there will come a point where my knees will say enough's enough and 22/23 is pretty respectable I suppose!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
2599126 said:
53x19
IMAG1258_zps0fce13a6.jpg
But you aren't shallow.

ayceejay

Guru
When riding fixed the usual length for crank arms is 165 to avoid toes overlapping front wheel and hitting the ground when cornering. Since changing a sprocket is way easier than changing a chain ring I would say stick with either 48 or 46 and play around with cogs. If you have ridden a geared bike on the same route and there is one combination in there where you feel most comfortable use the chart above to find out its gear inches and emulate this on your fixed.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
When riding fixed the usual length for crank arms is 165 to avoid toes overlapping front wheel and hitting the ground when cornering. Since changing a sprocket is way easier than changing a chain ring I would say stick with either 48 or 46 and play around with cogs. If you have ridden a geared bike on the same route and there is one combination in there where you feel most comfortable use the chart above to find out its gear inches and emulate this on your fixed.
Surely toeverlap is more a factor of geometry than crank length? I've always thought short cranks were there to ease the problem of pedal strike.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Me too, but also to allow faster spinning down hills.
Explain the maths of that to me please. The number of rpm is the same regardless of crank length for a given speed no? Sure my feet might have less distance to travel as the diameter of the circle is less on 165's but would it make a meaningful difference?

Maybe it is only me but footspeed has never been the limiting factor.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Explain the maths of that to me please. The number of rpm is the same regardless of crank length for a given speed no? Sure my feet might have less distance to travel as the diameter of the circle is less on 165's but would it make a meaningful difference?

Maybe it is only me but footspeed has never been the limiting factor.
Less distance travelled equals more spin.

ayceejay

Guru
I think I am probably being old fashioned in thinking that fixed wheel = track geometry closer clearances and shorter wheelbase.
The only problem I ever had was striking a curb which wasn't fun.

yello

My choice is decided simply by the terrain I ride in.

My bike came equipped with a 48t chainring and an 18/20 flip-flop hub. 18 was too much like hard work around here so I ride the 20. Not too difficult a decision really.

I have brakes for the occasions that I need to control spinout. I'm comfortable (albeit bouncing) up to around 150.

Top Bottom