One Legged Fix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On my way home today my drive side pedal decided to detach itself from the crank - the result of an impact some time ago I think. This left me with about 4miles left leg only. Starting off was a bit challenging but once up to speed I could hold 15/16mph. After a while my right arm started to feel it - I guess as a result of trying to counter the push/pull on the left. As I trundled along I began to wonder whether this would have been easier with a free wheel. At least I must have ammused the passing motorists.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've done this on a geared bike, seized pedal bearings and it was difficult, I only did a couple of miles and cramped up.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
It's just a matter of practice ^_^ .
A chap by the name of Kevin Hickman did a 600km audax on one pedal once (Chepstow to Menai Bridge and back in under 40h), and quite a lot of other long rides.

The nearest I got was a crank that cracked from the pedal threads out to one side, and spread slightly allowing the pedal to jump a couple of threads on one side so it was 10-15° off square to the crank. It was obvious that it would come right out if pushed on much, so I set off to do the 40 miles back to Gloucester from Shipston on Stour using one leg, with the other leg hooked up behind on top of the rack pack. That lasted about 4 miles before I started using the bent pedal to lift the pushing leg.

As for fix/free, fixed means your pedal comes round to the top for the next push without having to lift it using totally untrained muscles, but you lose out on freewheeling down hills and coasting. On the whole I think I'd vote for freewheel, not least because getting up any significant hill on one leg will require lower gears.

Top Bottom