How do you clean your waterbottles when on holiday?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Clean out the bottle top as well, that is where bacteria and road crud lurk.

Globalti

Legendary Member
In the freezer? Why? Freezing doesn't kill bacteria, it just stops them growing but they'll be back in action as soon as you warm them up to RT. Just dry the bottle, that's as good as sterilising it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I'd be wary of melting the bottle with boiling water. :ohmy:
Its only for the hard mouth piece. I sometimes do it if using the bottle 2 consecutive days and its ok.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
In all seriousness, why would you need to clean your bottles? A quick flush with hot tap water then leave the bottle upside-down to drain then leave it upright in a warm place to dry, is all it needs. The worst thing is to leave it wet, which will allow mould to grow especially if it's had carbs or sugars inside it.
Just something I have always done. I ride twice a week normaly and afterwards stick the bottle straight into the dishwasher.

Proto

Legendary Member
I think you’re all nuts. I can honestly say I do no more than rinse my bottles between rides. If I don’t finish the bottle on a ride, I might use it several days later.

Sometimes the bottles get a bit of black mould in them, but if it’s only a few specks, then ignore and carry on.

If it’s bad enough I might leave them to soak - some bleach and topped up with water. Leave overnight. I might do that once or twice a year.

I’m very much against sterilising everything. We need bacteria in our gut. I consider ‘unclean’ bottles to be a free meal

Last edited:
Top Bottom