How do you continue peddling, when your legs are tired

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

If clipped I'll pull the pedals up rather than push them down for a bit.

I didn't 'get' cadence until someone on here told be to always be in the gear below the one you think you should be in, and someone else told me you should be I whatever gear makes your legs feel like they're not doing anything.

I run out of gears though, what then?

outlash

also available in orange
I remember reading an article about hill climbing and the basic premise was 'manage your effort, not your speed', which is something I tend to stick to. Spin away if you have to, as long as you're still moving :smile:.

Tony.

Feastie

Über Member
Maybe start out on a hill with less steep inclines and work up? Once you can manage a less-steep hill, move onto a steeper one and so on. I have a horrific hill on my way in every morning and have gradually conquered it via the method of attrition (v. unpleasant experience and makes you wish you had a portable shower with you!) because it's unavoidable 'hill training' every morning. I lost all hill fitness over the summer as it's totally flat round here and when I got back, was destroyed once more by said hill. Second time round, I used the method of taking an alternative route where the overall distance is longer but the inclines aren't as extreme (although eventually add up to the same) and then building up fitness on those first. It worked! :smile:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I run out of gears though, what then?

Put your feet on the ground bone shaker style.

Kies

Learn to love hills, see an ascent and smile at yourself as you approach base camp. Then climb the fother mucker !!!!

I have a granny gear too but it isn't always enough. I reckon I must have granny legs too!
Two options change the rear cassette more teeth on the lower gears or a lower granny ring though this is more complex, you will need to check to see if the front and rear mech can cope, or just put some effort in on the hills it doesn't take long, but you do have to work at it.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I used to despise hills. I now see them as opportunities :whistle:
Hill avoidance is a short term path to happiness but in the long term it'll do you no good. Much better to ride up them (as slowly as you need to) and with each ascent, it will get slightly easier, or rather - you will get faster :smile:

Top Bottom