How do you continue peddling, when your legs are tired

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skinnydog1973

i have been out today i decided to do a big hill where i live, i only did 11 mile but the hill was at mile 9 and i was thinking of it the whole way round the ride when i came to the hill i was ready and gave it my all and was so pleased that i got to the top i didnt stop and took advice from on here where i just looked ahead and picked out places on the hill and tried to get there and did that the whole way up, i have only done 4 rides ever but i really cant believe that i actually look forward to the hills because i feel like i have achieved something when i get to the top.

Kins

Über Member
Two killer hills near me and both are alternate routes home unless I cant be arsed and walk my bike up the steps on the pedestrian route.

One is very steep and very short with a killer 90 degree bend on the steepest bit and I can just about get up it in granny gear on my 24 speed mountain bike, and cant even get to the bend on my 12 speed road bike.

The other hill is just steep and straight and I can get up on both but totally knackered, though sometimes I have to bale out on my road bike and ride up a side road a short distance to get my breathe back, turn round and go up the rest of it.

The joys of living in the part of town up a sodding great hill. :wacko:

Even worse my dad is moving soon, he lives literally a mile from me now, but when he moves he will be 4 miles away and right at the very top of a different sodding big hill. :thumbsdown:

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Try reciting a saying in your head which you can time with each pedal.stroke, I find if I'm on a real grinder, Sean Kelly in my head saying 'keep on pushing on' works a treat, try it, it really does work but remember not to say out loud or others might think your a bit bonkers!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Try reciting a saying in your head which you can time with each pedal.stroke, I find if I'm on a real grinder, Sean Kelly in my head saying 'keep on pushing on' works a treat, try it, it really does work but remember not to say out loud or others might think your a bit bonkers!
Dory from Finding Nemo :shy:

Just keep going, just keep going.............

Did I mention :shy:?

yello

How do I keep pedalling? I don't know, I just do.

That word again - anticipation. Try to be in the right gear, certainly on the right chainring, for the climb. Try and carry speed (if possible) into the base of the climb. It's about looking ahead and anticipating.

If I get it wrong (and I do, too often) or I run out of gears, and grinding it out becomes my only option then I just hang in there. If it's getting tough then I start talking to myself.... "I will not be beaten, I will not be beaten"! :laugh:

An ex-pro I rode with a few years back in a hilly region of France alternated between seated spinning and out-of-saddle grinding on the long climbs by changing chainrings (he rode a compact). It is something I have done on my compact but I feel it does require a little more confidence (and confidence in a well set up, clean shifting mech!) Usually, I try to limit my gear changes to cassette only if poss, and avoid up-shifting on the chainrings.

johnno1812

Im no pro or owt, but what i do i cycle as best as i can up to a cetain point of the hill in a comfy gear then when i slow down i gear right down.I take note of where i had to gear down and memorise it.
The next time i go up the same hill i remember this and try and get that little bit further.

Top Bottom