How do you know if a jacket is waterproof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
If you see a jacket for sale in a second hand shop or a market how can you tell if it is waterproof or not ?

Hicky

Guru
Label?
Depending on the material nothing ever is, treat with nikwax often and bobs your uncle....

OP
OP
Wester

Wester

Guru
You could google it on a smartphone if you can identify the brand ?

It is a muddyfox jacket that is on offer from Sportsdirect for £19.99 that I am on about and I think that it is not waterproof but it does not say if it is or it is not . which probably means that it is not waterproof

Mo1959

Legendary Member
It is a muddyfox jacket that is on offer from Sportsdirect for £19.99 that I am on about and I think that it is not waterproof but it does not say if it is or it is not . which probably means that it is not waterproof
Just get this instead. Lol.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-high-visibility-waterproof-cycling-jacket-id_8221258.html
It is waterproof and not too boil-in-the-bag if you don't work too hard. Quite a slim fit though so not sure about sizing. I would say up one from normal.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
You can tell if the material is waterproof by seeing if you can breath through it. Discreetly obviously :whistle:. The issue on a lot of jackets is the seams though where a lot end up leaking when it gets really wet.

Katherine

Guru
If it's second hand, then you won't know if it's only been washed in non-bio detergent. Biological detergent destroys the water proofing properties. Then you can try re-treating it with nik wax.

Top Bottom