How do you mount and dismount your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My hip joints are a bit delicate so I lower my bike slightly to the left and swing my right leg over the saddle. I then clip the right foot in, push off with that, and freewheel until I get my left foot clipped in. If I am starting off on a steep uphill and I can't get started any other way, I would hang on to a wall/fence/post/whatever and clip both feet in before setting off.

I can mount either way, so first foot is usually on the near side in whichever country I'm in, but I can pretty much mount equally well with either foot so it sometimes is whichever is easiest, my wife cannot even contemplate getting on or off from the right (but she did only learn to ride at ~25).
We have ridden a tandem occasionally and I could never remember to mount and dismount from the front - probably why we don't actually own a tandem.

Fredo76

Über Member
In my youth, I would do a standing dismount by passing the bars under my right leg, which caused a few double-takes. After dislocating my first hip replacement while mounting my motorcycle, I got a scooter and a step-through frame bicycle. I mount my old racing bike that I recently restored by laying it down on the pavement and stepping over it. Oh, well.

proletaratOne

About every way imaginable

when lazy… lean bike and throwleg over

But other times…. Ethers side… sometimes a run and a hop… of few kicks like a scooter sometimes.

Dismount… sometimes a hop … sometimes in clip a side and coast for a bit sidesaddle and jump….

sometimes a dramatic leg over handlebars side… depends on mood and who’s watching

for the record I use clip less. And after the obligatory clueless fall…. I have no probs clipping in and out….also I use speed play… they are double sided so it’s kinda easy to pedal a bit before fully clipped in…plus mine ar set fro a lot of movement so far can twist around quit a bit

Punkawallah

Über Member
Depends on whether I -intend- to mount or dismount : -)
Usually from the near side, right leg over, set right pedal, right foot on, push on pedal while ‘sliding’ the saddle under my posterior. Dismount is brake, left foot down and reverse of above.

Reactions: C R

raleighnut

Legendary Member
In my youth, I would do a standing dismount by passing the bars under my right leg, which caused a few double-takes. After dislocating my first hip replacement while mounting my motorcycle, I got a scooter and a step-through frame bicycle. I mount my old racing bike that I recently restored by laying it down on the pavement and stepping over it. Oh, well.
Similar here since breaking my Femur, unless there's a really high kerb I can't swing my leg high enough to clear the saddle. Lost count of the number of non/part time cyclist types who say "Just lower the seat"*
Luckily the Trike is a 'step thru' frame :becool:

* these are the same nobbers who think you should be able to get both feet 'flat' on the floor whilst sitting on the saddle. :wacko:

. Also, about 80% of folk have a stronger right leg,
One for the true odd factoids thread?
why is this?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Scooting start, from the left hand side but then I only ride flat pedals now, when I used clipless on some bikes it was different.
On a heavily loaded bike (on shopping runs for instance) I have to mount stationary. Lean the bike towards me a bit, then swing my right leg over carefully, before getting the bike straight before I set off. If I try to do a scoot start on a loaded bike, I find the wobble disconcerting as the weight shifts!

Last edited:
Scooting start, from the left hand side but then I only ride flat pedals now, when I used clipless on some bikes it was different.
On a heavily loaded bike (on shopping runs) I have to lean the bike towards me a bit and swing my right leg over carefully, then get the bike straight before I set off. If I do a scoot start on a loaded bike I find the wobble disconcerting!
same here - the way I load some of my bikes at times not possible to get a leg over even standing. I find a bit of pavement or something and put my left leg, then get the right over the junk.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Reading this I realise I don't know the answer! It just happens. I "think" I step over the top tube with my right leg, clip in my right foot and push.

I do know I always mount and dismount from the left to keep out of traffic.

I'll pay more attention later today.

Top Bottom