How do you mount and dismount your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juliansou

Not something I’d given much thought to but ………….. you know how it is, surfing aimlessly through you tube there seems a bizarre amount of info on this! Anyway, just got me thinking, how do you mount and dismount your steed?
I favour (what I think of) as the postie mount/dismount I.e. a little push of with the left foot on the pedal then swing the right leg over the saddle - off you go. Dismount is the reverse. Anyone have any weird methods??

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Fall off and instinctively curl up into a ball before hitting the ground. Works every time.

roley poley

Über Member
Traditionally you mount your steed on the left...this was so your sword, hung in its scabbard on your left... didn't foul your leg as you got on the horse...it also makes sense to all nations who ride on the left side of the road to mount from the curb side...I bet other CC members from abroad (sword wearers excluded) would do the opposite.:scratch:

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I always mount from the left hand side. Depending on which bike I am riding, sometimes it's a scoot along with the left foot on the pedal and then get the right leg over. If I am on a clipless bike it will be a static start with the right foot clipped in first.

C R

Guru
Traditionally you mount your steed on the left...this was so your sword, hung in its scabbard on your left... didn't foul your right leg as you got on the horse...it also makes sense to all nations who ride on the left side of the road to mount from the curb side...I bet other CC members from abroad (sword wearers excluded) would do the opposite.:scratch:
I am very strongly handed, so I always put my right foot down when stopping, which means that I am always in the wrong side for dismounting.

Depends

If I am on a flat surface I sometimes put my left foot on the pedal and scoot then swing my right leg over

otherwise I lean the bike a bit left - right leg over the back and set off

dismount - put left foot down if possible and swing right over the back
if necessary - e.g if on a slope and left foot won't reach - right foot down move forward so I can drop down further over the crossbar - left foot down and as above

Or - several time - attempt to put left foot down - fail due to unexpected slope - fall off

how do you mount and dismount

With great difficulty, having very damaged joints.
However, unless I am facing downhill, I do a left foot on the pedal, scooting start and as soon as I have enough speed to balance, swing my right leg through, hopefully avoiding all the 'bits' (hence low-step-through is a necessity!), seat myself and start to pedal. My right leg is better at pedalling and pushing/scooting; my left leg is more stable when supporting my weight, so this works fairly well.
Dismount - slow until a moment before I can't stay upright, then try to slide down from the saddle gently onto both feet, or stay on the saddle and lean to the left so my left foot can support me while I manoevre my right leg 'through the gap'. It's awkward however I do it.

I just get my leg over. A scooting start is more difficult with clipless pedals.

indeed, also, on my road bike my leg goes over the bars as they're lower than the saddle.

I have done a rolling dismount bringing my leg over the bars and hopping off to a stop, it felt a bit perilous on clipless pedals, so didn't do it again.

Top Bottom