How does anyone actually do a 200 Km ride in one day ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I know this could get some very silly answers but..............hey-ho.
As an old fart who is gradually building the mileage up I don't do serious speed cycling e.g. today I did 27 miles and AVERAGED 11 mph.
I am planning a 100 miler but thinking..........hang about...........I will have to set of at 0700 in order to allow, say, 2 hours for breaks.........and still not get back till 1900
So....for anyone to do 160 miles in a day they would have to AVERAGE, say 16 mph.
That is serious cycling for the average person.

vickster

Legendary Member
@jefmcg does such at a similar pace :smile:

Sharky

Guru
In my early days, the Sunday Club runs used to be all day rides, averaging about 90 miles, but with some specials thrown in such as Kendal & back and rides into North Wales (Glasfryn). With a starting point at Prescot (Merseyside), they were 140 - 150 mile rides. in the 80's rode the London to Brighton ride a few times, but riding to the start, from Longfield (Nr Gravesend), then rode home from Brighton!

mark st1

Plastic Manc
A day is 24 hours. And 200km is 125 miles (rounded ever so slightly up) not 160. I've never managed a ton at 16mph, and never will I should imagine. No need to give yourself deadlines like doing it in twelve hours door to door. Eg:
https://www.strava.com/activities/562406461 (please note average speed ;) ).

I post those same links to my rides but I never see the avg speed ? Nor do I on your link. Am I just incredibly blind :eek:

Umm - by mistake?

Fond memories of the FNRttC York-Hull, when a damned good breakfast set me off riding towards home again. Made 135 miles that day.

Not recommended. Better to build up to the distance, I suspect :tongue:.

Yes, it's serious, but i don't really know what your question is.

If you are going to cover 200km in a day, then that's going to be pretty much all you do that day, fast or slow.

Yeah, you can do it slow, and still enjoy it.

These are my longest rides, and the time is moving time - so total time is much longer. I enjoyed all of them, and have no (great) wish to be faster.

Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 19.19.40.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
aha @Dave7 you must have seen my post.

Well plan for the day is this.
6am up and out of bed.
Quick brekkie and cuppa
Out of the door at 6.30am.
15 miles to the start, so an hours riding.
Arrive start at 7.30am
Half an hour for another brekkie and to stock up with bananas and biccies stashed in jersey pocket.
8am Audax begins.
The first food control is 33 miles in (48 so far), we will probably skip this, only stopping to get the brevet card stamped.
The next stop is at mile 53 (68 so far), this will be our lunch stop. (big plate of ham. egg and chips or similar)
At mile 85 (100 so far) is another food stop. It will probably be a splash and dash, bit of cake and a cup of tea, dependent on how we are feeling.
Mile 105 (120 so far) is the final food control, free tea and cake is supplied so be silly not to indulge
It's then 25 miles to the end of the ride (145 miles so far), where more free food will be on hand to help fuel up for the final 15 miles to home. (making a total of 160 miles)

I am planning on getting back home no later then 7pm, hopefully earlier, dependent on weather, riding conditions, length of control stops etc.

Last year we managed the ride at a 15mph average. With the much better weather predicted for Sunday. I am hoping to better that.

A ride like this has taken me a long time to get to the stage where I can do it very comfortably. Lot's of miles and miles over the years have certainly helped build up the stamina of spending so much time on the bike and with stamina comes higher speeds, quicker pace and longer distances.

It also helps that I have such great, strong and fit cycling buddies like @martint235 who I will be doing the ride with. It's so much easier to manage long distances with others with a similar ability. (though to be honest, Martin is far better cyclist then me).

mark st1

Plastic Manc
aha @Dave7 you must have seen my post.

Well plan for the day is this.
6am up and out of bed.
Quick brekkie and cuppa
Out of the door at 6.30am.
15 miles to the start, so an hours riding.
Arrive start at 7.30am
Half an hour for another brekkie and to stock up with bananas and biccies stashed in jersey pocket.
8am Audax begins.
The first food control is 33 miles in (48 so far), we will probably skip this, only stopping to get the brevet card stamped.
The next stop is at mile 53 (68 so far), this will be our lunch stop. (big plate of ham. egg and chips or similar)
At mile 85 (100 so far) is another food stop. It will probably be a splash and dash, bit of cake and a cup of tea, dependent on how we are feeling.
Mile 105 (120 so far) is the final food control, free tea and cake is supplied so be silly not to indulge
It's then 25 miles to the end of the ride (145 miles so far), where more free food will be on hand to help fuel up for the final 15 miles to home. (making a total of 160 miles)

I am planning on getting back home no later then 7pm, hopefully earlier, dependent on weather, riding conditions, length of control stops etc.

Last year we managed the ride at a 15mph average. With the much better weather predicted for Sunday. I am hoping to better that.

A ride like this has taken me a long time to get to the stage where I can do it very comfortably. Lot's of miles and miles over the years have certainly helped build up the stamina of spending so much time on the bike and with stamina comes higher speeds, quicker pace and longer distances.

It also helps that I have such great, strong and fit cycling buddies like @martint235 who I will be doing the ride with. It's so much easier to manage long distances with others with a similar ability. (though to be honest, Martin is far better cyclist then me).

Do you get mechanical assistance at such events Ian ? If not what do you carry gear wise to get you out of the poo. ?

Top Bottom