How does anyone actually do a 200 Km ride in one day ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
It's not that hard, compartmentalise the ride into small chunks. Start early, stop often.
I am thinking of a stop at 25 & 50 with a decent lunch break at 75. Plus the odd few minutes for a drink, blow the old conk and shove a few jelly babies in.
Does that sound ok or would you suggest more short stops.

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
I am thinking of a stop at 25 & 50 with a decent lunch break at 75. Plus the odd few minutes for a drink, blow the old conk and shove a few jelly babies in.

Sounds OK. Stopping too often drags it out also.

That'll be fine. Fig rolls are good as well.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Do what ever your body tells you, not what others do. Everyone is different.
Very much this - but you adapt over time.
When I started audaxing (2010) I struggled on a 100km ride with intervals between feed stops of around 35km.
Now I'll blow by a control at anything less than 80km and just get card stamped.
An ideal break strategy for a 200km is now 120km, feed, then 80km, although I'll sometimes do 100/50/50.

But 200km is still more or less a full day's ride.
300km is a seriously long day - post midnight finish if it's hilly.
Target for a 400 (from a 6 am. start) is to finish before dawn on the following day- but I've never quite managed that yet.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Target for a 400 (from a 6 am. start) is to finish before dawn on the following day
Laudable; and easier in April. Though you'd surely miss the fantastic dawns you've enjoyed on the final 50 of a 400.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't a load of us do 200 km on the first night/day of LonJoG?
Very very nearly, I think - my memory is that is was nearer 180 or 190km.

That was inside 17 hours.

[edit]
The Fridays Tour

The original invitation said 123 miles, which is 197km. So anyone who wasn't staying close to the middle of Bingham (and whose derailleur didn't blow up...) might well have done 200km.

The first bit was gradually uphill, then it was flattish to Northamptonshire, Rutland was corrugated and the last bit to Notts positively hilly.

Last edited:

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Ive done two 200km+ rides and both with @ianrauk
One was London-Brighton-London. There was 6 of us, stopping for fish & chips on Brighton beach. I seem to remember getting into Brighton by 12.

The second was just Ian and myself on a route I plotted looping through Herts, Bucks, and into Oxfordshire. That was an amazing days cycling the conditions were perfect, we managed an average speed of just over 18mph

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
aha @Dave7 you must have seen my post.

Well plan for the day is this.
6am up and out of bed.
Quick brekkie and cuppa
Out of the door at 6.30am.
15 miles to the start, so an hours riding.
Arrive start at 7.30am
Half an hour for another brekkie and to stock up with bananas and biccies stashed in jersey pocket.
8am Audax begins.
The first food control is 33 miles in (48 so far), we will probably skip this, only stopping to get the brevet card stamped.
The next stop is at mile 53 (68 so far), this will be our lunch stop. (big plate of ham. egg and chips or similar)
At mile 85 (100 so far) is another food stop. It will probably be a splash and dash, bit of cake and a cup of tea, dependent on how we are feeling.
Mile 105 (120 so far) is the final food control, free tea and cake is supplied so be silly not to indulge
It's then 25 miles to the end of the ride (145 miles so far), where more free food will be on hand to help fuel up for the final 15 miles to home. (making a total of 160 miles)

I am planning on getting back home no later then 7pm, hopefully earlier, dependent on weather, riding conditions, length of control stops etc.

Last year we managed the ride at a 15mph average. With the much better weather predicted for Sunday. I am hoping to better that.

A ride like this has taken me a long time to get to the stage where I can do it very comfortably. Lot's of miles and miles over the years have certainly helped build up the stamina of spending so much time on the bike and with stamina comes higher speeds, quicker pace and longer distances.

It also helps that I have such great, strong and fit cycling buddies like @martint235 who I will be doing the ride with. It's so much easier to manage long distances with others with a similar ability. (though to be honest, Martin is far better cyclist then me).

Blimey if I had that many food stops I don't think I could finish the ride, would probably fall asleep

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
It's an Audax and are controls where you have to get your brevet card stamped or signed.

That's what puts me off doing an Audax. When I go to do a big ride I like to have as few as stops as possible due to not wanting to seize up / not wanting to get back on the bike

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The second was just Ian and myself on a route I plotted looping through Herts, Bucks, and into Oxfordshire. That was an amazing days cycling the conditions were perfect, we managed an average speed of just over 18mph

It was an awesome days riding. Everything seemed to fall into place for a great bike ride.
And I have never done that distance quicker. :okay:

Top Bottom