How does anyone actually do a 200 Km ride in one day ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That's what puts me off doing an Audax. When I go to do a big ride I like to have as few as stops as possible due to not wanting to seize up / not wanting to get back on the bike

Not sure how or why it would put you off.? You don't need to stop except to get the brevet card stamped/signed.

Though I have never felt like seizing up or not wanting to get back on the bike.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Not sure how or why it would put you off.? You don't need to stop except to get the brevet card stamped/signed.

Though I have never felt like seizing up or not wanting to get back on the bike.

Maybe I should have a go at one, I have had a look for ones around Leicester and I can only find one or two.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I get bored out of my skull on 100+ rides. It starts to kick in at about 70miles. After that I'm just turning pedals for the sake of it. I don't bother with them anymore. I don't get anything out of it so I don't see the point. Thats just me of course. being an old git doesn't help though.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Though be aware. It's not a pretend race like a sportive. Audax do actually have a minimum & maximum times to finish

I don't go fast enough to look like I am racing, can't think of nothing worse than doing a sportive (though I have nicked the routes off ridewithgps and rode them on different days)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I get bored out of my skull on 100+ rides. It starts to kick in at about 70miles. After that I'm just turning pedals for the sake of it. I don't bother with them anymore. I don't get anything out of it so I don't see the point. Thats just me of course. being an old git doesn't help though.

I feel exactly the same though only when riding solo. I find rides really drag when on my lonesome. So much easier with company. Me being an old git too.

That's what puts me off doing an Audax. When I go to do a big ride I like to have as few as stops as possible due to not wanting to seize up / not wanting to get back on the bike
I don't particularly like organised Audaxes. "you must be here, by such and such a time" meh, not for me.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Very very nearly, I think - my memory is that is was nearer 180 or 190km.

That was inside 17 hours.

[edit]
The Fridays Tour

The original invitation said 123 miles, which is 197km. So anyone who wasn't staying close to the middle of Bingham (and whose derailleur didn't blow up...) might well have done 200km.

The first bit was gradually uphill, then it was flattish to Northamptonshire, Rutland was corrugated and the last bit to Notts positively hilly.
My data says 121 miles, elapsed time of 16hr 55. I'd have easily done 200km all in with hops to and from stations etc.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I feel exactly the same though only when riding solo. I find rides really drag when on my lonesome. So much easier with company. Me being an old git too.
I like both, fortunately for me. I have zero issues keeping going on my own- longest solo 162 miles, the ride is the objective- though I never get the same speed as in company.

doog

I do multiple 100 plus mile days on tour with 20kg of kit and a tent on a heavy bike...it isnt difficult .....did 140 miles once by accident...As you say your'e just turning pedals...I guess its the event thing, time limits and the fact people are paying that puts the pressure on and makes it something to get worried about..

Siclo

Veteran
Slowly these days, once upon a time I was able to ride a 5 hour imperial century on the flat, now I have neither the fitness or inclination to stare at my stem for that long. Solo riding 200km on the flat takes me 10 to 11 hours with 1.5 to 2 hours stopped including junctions, photos, hedge stops etc and good to go again the next day. One fig roll or jaffa cake per 10km and one good meal. Hilly rides, 3000+ metres, double that intake, same stopped time, I'm looking at 12 to 13 hours, then being totally wiped out the next day.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Pretty much all been said but this caught my eye as being important.

If you are going to cover 200km in a day, then that's going to be pretty much all you do that day, fast or slow.

Start early. Take all day. Don't plan on anything else that day apart from relaxing and going to bed. Speed becomes irrelevant. It's 200k/day whichever way you cut it,.

toontra

Veteran
I don't particularly like organised Audaxes. "you must be here, by such and such a time" meh, not for me.

I've gotten a bit bored with them also. Info controls, getting receipts from shops, etc. I started doing them to qualify for PBP and did the last two LEL's (and may do the next one) but these days I prefer long rides on my own so I can go where & when I like. Still notch up consecutive 200 + mile days but it doesn't seem like such an ordeal as audax for some reason.

I've gotten a bit bored with them also. Info controls, getting receipts from shops, etc. I started doing them to qualify for PBP and did the last two LEL's (and may do the next one) but these days I prefer long rides on my own so I can go where & when I like. Still notch up consecutive 200 + mile days but it doesn't seem like such an ordeal as audax for some reason.
That's pretty much my view also :okay:.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The problem I have is that not that many hundred plus rides make sense to me. It switches from being a fun way to get somewhere into being about the ride itself because the multi-stop hundreds are good to do as shorter rides, there aren't many single-stop hundreds from here that make much sense and even those that do, it's quite tempting to stay over or get a train one way and have more time to look at stuff.

I ride a century and then think: well, what was the point of that?

Top Bottom