How does being a cyclist affect your driving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Above and beyond the minimum behaviour requirements of the highway code or the driving test. I drive differently because I'm a cyclist and to make life easier and safer for cyclists I share the road with.

In stop - start traffic I leave a decent gap to the car in front in case a cyclist needs to change lanes or dip in to get out of incoming traffic.

I've trained myself to always check in the left side mirror before pulling away to make sure there's no one in the process of scooting down my nearside.

I hold back a long way before attempting an overtake, pass wide and slow and leave tons of space before I pull back in. I don't overtake unless I can achieve all that.

How does being a cyclist influence the way you drive?

Dolorous Edd

I drive as fast as possible so I can waste less time driving and spend more time cycling.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Pretty much the same as you.

I know im going to sound like a geek here but:

Last Sunday i drove to a clinic in Stafford. Just past Milford, on the way, there was a cyclist who had 2 drivers overtake him on blind bends. When it came my turn, i refrained until we (me and the cyclist) was around the next corner which wasn't immediate and gave him huge wide berth when i did overtake and was clear. He thumbed up in acknowledgement but i really wasn't trying to score points here. Since starting cycling again 2 years ago, i really am way more conscious of cyclists and try to respect them more. I don't think i was ever bad before, but perhaps didn't give it as much thought.

It takes one to know one...

Gillstay

Über Member
I still do fast glances over the shoulder at times when i need to be certain no one is in a blind spot, such as a motorbike.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I was a motorcyclist before being a driver then also a cyclist. Had a great instructor (but he also had an experienced pupil who could drive thanks to years of farms and tractors) and I'm also a member of the Institute of advanced motorists. It's fair to say I have a fair grasp of the concept of forward planning and positioning, IPSGA/TUG and driving/riding around vulnerable road users from not only being one - but doing support roles at open races and other such events.
It doesn't. I was trained to driver properly in the first place.
And this

gcogger

I was used to cycling on busy roads long before I learned to drive. I think that experience helped a huge amount with my observation skills, something that was commented on by my driving instructor.

While driving I tend to notice cyclists, their bike model and gear and even how they ride. I did come across a chap in his 50s in lycra, an expensive bike with too high a seat post. From afar his hip movement was noticeable. Out of curiosity how cyclist handle roundabout.

I don't think it changed my manner of driving, just more observant of cyclists on the road. .

Top Bottom