How does being a cyclist affect your driving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I was a kid - and then learning to drive - we often went to North Wales on Bank Holidays and nice weekends

there were queues - those from the Wirral and other such areas will know where

Sometimes motorbike would move down the middle of the lanes
some drivers would deliberately move to close the gap and stop them

My Dad would comment that it was one less vehicel in the queue and why not just let them through

same applies to cyclists - my Dad used to cycle around Liverpool when he was a kid - probably influenced his driving

I reckon cycling has made me more observant and more likely to notice people - and give way and help people

I think it has also meant that I am more likely to spot idiots on Motorways and just sigh and let them go off - on the basis that if they are infront of me I can react to their stupidity in a safe manner
same as I do for drivers when I am cycling

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I get a close as possible to the cyclists so I can check out their bikes and clothing, sometimes close enough to see if they have removed their valve caps to save weight.

I get a close as possible to the cyclists so I can check out their bikes and clothing, sometimes close enough to see if they have removed their valve caps to save weight.
Just as long as you know that the concept of the sticky bottle include an element of consent
especially if there is a difference in genders:eek:

just to make sure

Drago

Legendary Member
Being a cycle trainer has had a more profound affect on my driving.

I notice stuff like poor positioning, poor technique, poor obs drills, etc, and then keep an even wider berth.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
In stop - start traffic I leave a decent gap to the car in front
I've trained myself to always check in the left side mirror before pulling away
I hold back a long way before attempting an overtake
Interestingly these are all taught as basics on a RoSPA or IAM course.
"Tyres and tarmac", i.e. in stationary traffic you should be able to see the rear tyres of the car in front plus some road surface. It allows for better maneuvering, gives space from the car in front in case of a shunt behind, and it's better for observation all round.
Both mirrors should be checked before pulling away for the exact reason you state, plus it's just good situational awareness.
Overtaking is taught exactly as you describe, you start from a long way back and hold off until the overtake is appropriate and safe.

So well done on self teaching!
I'd recommend a RoSPA or IAM course to anyone, they systematically change how you drive and they engrain some really good habits and practices.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
some really good habits

I did an IAM course for a feature and remember 'tyres and tarmac'.

The instructor didn't like the use of 'good habits' because a habit is something you do automatically, whereas each driving decision should be taken consciously.

As part of a court case involving a copper accused of death by careless driving, we spent a long time going through the ins and outs of the Cleveland Police driving manual.

Hardly a rip roaring read, but one phrase in it I liked, and which I still use, is 'drive to arrive'.

That was in reference to emergency response, but it applies to all of us.

I did the IAM test many many years ago - it really made you realise how much you were missing and improved observation dramatically.

It was after that when I started spotting more and more idiots on motorways - often before they did anything wrong.
My wife has often commented that, when we drive long distances, I am often taking avoiding action for something that hasn't happened yet. That is from the IAM course
It was long time ago - I have probably forgotten a lot - should probably have another go??

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
To begin, I was a pedestrian, then, I learned to ride a bicycle. I took "proper" lessons to learn to ride a Motorcycle, and, drive a car. I like to think I was taught correctly, and, I passed both tests (car and motorcycle) at first attempt. However, being a pedestrian, driving different size vehicles, plus cycling and riding a motorcycle has, I believe, given me greater understanding of the challenges facing others.

IMHO, anyone who claims to be a perfect driver, (or motorcyclist, or cyclist) should be banned from that activity. I would have included Pedestrian, but, I think a ban on walking may infringe Human Rights? ;)

Drago

Legendary Member
My Dad taught me to drive. He was a RoSPA trainer, one of the few that weren't ex dibble. We'd go out for a few hours and if I did something wrong the offending hand would get a smack with a steel rule - I damn well never made the same mistake twice! By the end of a typical lesson my hands were bloody tatters but, I passed first go.

It stood me in good stead when I went to roads policing in the late 90's, breezed through my class one.

RoSPA/IAM are roughly equivalent to the old police class 4, which is a little way south of the current police 'standard' or SRP ticket, absolutely nowehere near police 'advanced' as class 1 is now called. Its a bit cheeky calling the civilian ones 'advanced' when they teach so little of the system, but I guess 'a little better than the average cager' doesn't exactly trip off the tongue.

For all that, I don't enjoy driving and avoid it as much as possible. Conversely, im a hopeless motorcyclist but love it. The good news is that I know im hopeless and take things very steady, never had an off.

Had a classic must get in front driver today and got beeped at! I followed a group of cyclists along bridge road in Darlington, the group had split in two and the road was only wide enough for three cars in total.

I hung back as Bridge Road has a bit of a dip in it with a blind summit, after we crest I waited until I could overtake the first group safely with a 2metre gap and pull back in before overtaking the second group. Well this bobber of a city 2WD SUV couldn’t be bothered to wait and tried to overtake me and the cyclists at the same time, just as I was about to pull out and over take as a clear gap had opened up on the opposite carriage way.

I took great delight in receiving a blast of the horn from the driver behind for his self arrogance and inability to wait when he had to pull back in and abort his manoeuvre to allow me to overtake safely

Once I was safely passed he overtook the cyclists safely like I did and then followed me all the way to the roundabout where he went a different way to me.

Why this driver couldn’t have waited 30 seconds longer is beyond me!

Top Bottom