How does being a cyclist affect your driving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Most car on car overtakes are pointless. Odds are you'll catch them at fhe next roundabout, or turn off before they do, thus negating the stress, effort, danger and wear and tear. Unless someone is being ridiculously tardy its not worth the bother.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Apparently cyclists are to blame the queues at petrol stations.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Slightly OT but the thing that improved my driving a lot was my motorcycle training which I did maybe 5 years after my car test. The bike stuff introduced a much more systematic approach to observing with the so-called "lifesaver" over the shoulder glance before indicating and again before actual manoeuvre. Whilst I didn't drive agressively before (albeit had had a too-fast phase I'd outgrown by then) and did leave space and look a good way ahead, this more systematic approach resulted in very rarely being surprised or caught out. I don't know if it was specifically the bike lessons or whether car licence training had improved in the meantime but there was definitely a before and after improvement in my driving safety. As I'd always cycled I can't really say what the difference that made other than being aware of left hooking and giving space

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Yes. Think it was a name like Neil Sinclair if I’m remembering correctly?

Brother of Clive.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Yes. Think it was a name like Neil Sinclair if I’m remembering correctly?
I learned to drive in Perth in 1980. I was also told by my instructor that one of the examiners was a cyclist and that if you got within 6 feet of a cyclist during your test you would fail.
I had that examiner and passed first time, on a cold February day with no cyclists around.:smile:
I wasn't remotely interested in cycling at the time but the 6 ft rule did stick.

ISTR that he had an adopted son who was one of Dennis Neilson's victims.:sad:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I learned to drive in Perth in 1980. I was also told by my instructor that one of the examiners was a cyclist and that if you got within 6 feet of a cyclist during your test you would fail.
I had that examiner and passed first time, on a cold February day with no cyclists around.:smile:
I wasn't remotely interested in cycling at the time but the 6 ft rule did stick.

ISTR that he had an adopted son who was one of Dennis Neilson's victims.:sad:
Wasn’t Birrell’s School of Motoring you learned with? Nice instructors.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Riding a bike a lot makes front wheel drive seem a bit odd, particularly its tendency to scrabble for grip coming out of gravelly T-junctions or dieselly petrol station forecourts.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not sure that cycling changed my driving habits. Driving a lot on single track with passing places means I look further forward than most I think. I always scan as far ahead as I can see to anticipate oncoming traffic which can suddenly appear round a blind corner. At the same time I keep an eye on traffic from behind as anyone going faster than I am is allowed past at the first safe opportunity.
A lot of mainland drivers do not seem to look much further than the end of their bonnets.

Top Bottom