How does "Slime" work?...Does "Slime" work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I don't trust it. Ive dealt with tubes full of Slime and they feel icky and if they do get a puncture beyond the capability of the Slime to deal with then you can't get a patch to adhere so I wonder if they are a saving at all.

How do puncture protection strips perform by comparison. Worth using? It seems that this gets over the problem of Slime ingress into a patch.

Mods (and rockers) feel free to move this if it's a bit more "know how" than "general". Not that I'm trying to tell you how to do your job. I wouldn't do that. I mean if you chose to ask me then that's another mater but, well, you know...and stuff.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
They work very well, only problems are, in my opinion, one time use only and they make a right mess of the inside of the tyre, but you can get home on them without having to repair.

Venod

Eh up
I have had no luck with slime filled tubes when they have punctured they have sprayed the stuff out all over the bike, I run tubeless on the MTB with Stans fluid don't know if they have punctured or not but they are still up I have to just top them with air now & again, I have used protection strips with success but they do add weight to the wheel.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Work of satan. Just don't bother. It's hardly a big deal if you do puncture - 5 minute job ! Oh and don't get me started on puncture resistant tyres. Evil things. PS the tape can cause punctures at the ends as it can pinch the tube.

Sara_H

Guru
I've got slime tubes. I've also got marathon plus tyres. As far as I can recall I've had one puncture and was amazed how well the slime tube id its job.

My son had a puncture a few while back and I used a tin of slime cos I couldn't be bothered to change the tube, again I was amazed at the repair job.

byegad

Legendary Member
I rode with a guy who sang the praises of slime for the whole ride. At the last but one corner his outside front tyre rolled off the rim, spraying him, the road and his recumbent trike with green slime. He'd been riding with several punctures, all of which had leaked a bit of pressure and then sealed, until the sideways stress rolled the soft tyre off the rim. It works, in order to get you home, no more, no less. Ride further and you could get into bother.

If you get a puncture, you cannot repair it as the continuous trickle of slime prevents glue sticking to the tube.

Then we come to the valve, try letting down a tube (for instance to change a tyre) by releasing the valve and see the resultant mess!

screenman

Legendary Member
If you get a puncture, you cannot repair it as the continuous trickle of slime prevents glue sticking to the tube.

Then we come to the valve, try letting down a tube (for instance to change a tyre) by releasing the valve and see the resultant mess!

I have never had the problems you talk about, maybe I am just lucky. I used Slime for over 10 seasons of cross, it never ceased to amaze me when taking the tyre off how many punctures it had cured. Not once in the 10 years I used it did a puncture stop me from completing a race.

screenman

Legendary Member
It is fantastic, get some.

Just bringing some balance to the topic.

Now I wonder why most top end car manufacturers use it instead of a spare, maybe because it works.

Top Bottom