How does "Slime" work?...Does "Slime" work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Custom24

Über Member
I've got slime tubes. I've also got marathon plus tyres.
You mean you are using them together?

BikeLiker

I bought an MTB in March and had 14 punctures in 10 weeks. I know this because I had to re-order tiptop patches off ebay. I fitted slime tubes in June and haven't punctured had a flat since. Not sure why you would try to repair a slime tube. The tyre may go flat but just pumping it back up will seal the hole IME. There is a weight penalty but that beats puncturing on virtually every ride.

I bought an MTB in March and had 14 punctures in 10 weeks. I know this because I had to re-order tiptop patches off ebay. I fitted slime tubes in June and haven't punctured had a flat since. Not sure why you would try to repair a slime tube. The tyre may go flat but just pumping it back up will seal the hole IME. There is a weight penalty but that beats puncturing on virtually every ride.

This ^^^^

Was getting loads of punctures until i changed to them, and now never get them, and i've had a slime tube seal an almost pea sized hole in the tube and tyre with no noticeable loss of pressure, i know this as i didn't notice the puncture until i got home.

Sara_H

Guru
I suspect it is the tyre rather than the slime that's doing the job :rolleyes:
Well the tyres obviously prevent the majority of punctutes but I did once get a massive thorn in one, when I pulled it out there was a momentary hiss, a mild splutter of slime and then the drama was over.

Interesting comments, I suppose it is personal taste, but, so many anti posts are interesting. I've used it on various bikes for years and swear by it. Coincidently, changed a couple of tyres the other day, to find on close inspection of the tubes, a couple of small brown pinhead sized lumps on tube, picked them off, as you do! To find slime seeping out. So it had done the job perfectly. Some of the anti comments are not really logical, read one ages ago about it being really messy, verging on impossible to actually put it in a tyre, not sure why this would be.
Comments like, it makes the wheel wobble, also make no sense, it is liquid, and as long as you don't put too much in it simply coats the inside of the tube evenly. Why should it be messy letting the tube down? Turn the wheel to suitable position, allow it to settle and deflate!

Interesting comments, I suppose it is personal taste, but, so many anti posts are interesting. I've used it on various bikes for years and swear by it. Coincidently, changed a couple of tyres the other day, to find on close inspection of the tubes, a couple of small brown pinhead sized lumps on tube, picked them off, as you do! To find slime seeping out. So it had done the job perfectly. Some of the anti comments are not really logical, read one ages ago about it being really messy, verging on impossible to actually put it in a tyre, not sure why this would be.
Comments like, it makes the wheel wobble, also make no sense, it is liquid, and as long as you don't put too much in it simply coats the inside of the tube evenly. Why should it be messy letting the tube down? Turn the wheel to suitable position, allow it to settle and deflate!
I do always put the valve to the top of the wheel and let the slime settle to the bottom of the tube before topping up with air just to avoid any chance of slime leaking out and ruining either valve or pump. Not sure if this helps in reality but it helps rest my mind.

Herbie

Veteran
I've got slime tubes. I've also got marathon plus tyres. As far as I can recall I've had one puncture and was amazed how well the slime tube id its job.

My son had a puncture a few while back and I used a tin of slime cos I couldn't be bothered to change the tube, again I was amazed at the repair job.

I have the M + and slime tubes too.....no problems so far....touch wood

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
No, it's cr*p:cursing:. The liquid goop is utterly useless and you have to take out the spindle of the valve to squirt it in - try doing it with cold fingers in November!. OK, so they might have changed the design, but even those green strips don't prevent punctures. Stay clear of this stuff. You'd be better off getting tyres like schwalbe marathons which run at about 100 psi. I've ridden them over glass and they're practically indestrucable!. Slime is probably the WORST cycling accessory ever:evil:

screenman

Legendary Member
In my experience it didn't work, but if people want to use it that's fine. I'd just advise them not to assume that having slime in their tubes means they don't need to carry at least a spare inner tube, tyre levers and a pump.
Can I be cheeky and ask why in your experience it did not work, seeing that a lot of testing proves it does.

screenman

Legendary Member
That was unfortunate, must admit I have used it for many years whilst racing cross and MTB and have seen plenty of evidence that it works. being that I live ride and train in the Hawthorne capitol of the world I need all the help I can get.

Here is a point in evidence of how slime or Stand in my case works, without it I would never get a tubeless to seal and I doubt many other,s would, with it the job is a doddle.

I would say that the TMN case is rather isolated and is certainly not the norm.

tyred

Legendary Member

Either you are incredibly unlucky, you have dodgy rim tape or the tyres you have are utter junk.

Top Bottom