How Drivers Kill Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
When an RLJer or unlit cyclist is involved in a collision, there is however others who may be badly affected by the incident even if not physically harmed themselves
No one is disputing that. Or even saying it should be tolerated.

What I and others say is that you dont allow people to go "toddler" on you when they're caught and try and suggest "what about him instead!?"

Hip Priest

Veteran
Certainly not the intention, put it down to bad phrasing and a bad example. I only intended to comment on the visibility and availability of law enforcement.
@mods please feel free to remove that message.

No worries. Sorry if my reply was a bit abrupt.

Crankarm

Guru
Do you have any videos of cyclists with no lights at night? Of that guy who was killed the other day RLJ ing? I think we get too fixated on what others are doing while large swathes of our own brethren are doing nothing to help themselves.

Look after number one, because no other bugger will.

Indeed, no one will, not even the police or CPS!

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
If mobile usage when driving is considered as much of a danger as drink driving then surely the punishment should be just as severe. I'm for a 12 month ban and a large fine. You'll never change people's behaviour with trivial deterrents which have no impact on their lives. The time for carrot is long gone...it's now time for the stick.
There's nothing important on your phone worth someone's life, neither are you so important that that phone call must be taken immediately. I'm sick to the back teeth of seeing asshats texting and browsing in their cars oblivious to what they are doing...it's about time it was taken seriously and punished.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Utterly bored of the granny and young lasses clasping their mobiles & texting away in crawling traffic this morning.

I filtered up the outside of the queuing traffic because they kept drifting to one side or the other and I didn't fancy being sandwiched against the kerb.

I wish a cycling police officer would ride up the traffic and issue some penalty notices.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Low risk of getting caught versus relatively small punishment has always been an issue for this particular offence. Using a phone is always a wilful, deliberate act, and should be a 6 point offence, with large fines.

OP
OP
veloevol

veloevol

Evo Lucas
I wish a cycling police officer would ride up the traffic and issue some penalty notices.

I saw something similar a few weeks back and feel compelled to share. I was pushing my son in his pram in the city, when I noticed a WVM fiddling away while driving. At this very moment I looked behind me and saw a policeman cycling towards me in the cycle lane, as he drew near I announced the prefix of WVM's license plate and simply stated 'driver on mobile'. At first I thought he was going to ignore it but then as he drew closer to the van in question he cycled around and filtered up to the drivers window and well.. Busted!

I didn't hang around to see if he issued a ticket but he had a stern chat by the looks of things. Certainly put a smile on my face.

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Never see a policeman any more..

The Bristol based cycle police seem to hang around the centre and rarely venture as far north as my area. Maybe they avoid rush hour because of the nasty cars ?

Biscuitfrisky

It's funny really, I cycled home on Friday and came up to a cross junction with green lights going across.

But wait...why is there a car about 30 meters stationary from the green lights in the middle of the road?

Could he have had mechanical troubles?

No, the tosser was so engrossed in sending a text message that due to no one beeping behind him, he was sat there for several minutes.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
It's funny really, I cycled home on Friday and came up to a cross junction with green lights going across.

But wait...why is there a car about 30 meters stationary from the green lights in the middle of the road?

Could he have had mechanical troubles?

No, the tosser was so engrossed in sending a text message that due to no one beeping behind him, he was sat there for several minutes.

I've ridden around a few like that. They have this "oh no!!" moment and usually I can hear a crunch of gears in the distance as I make my way along, haha

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Never see a policeman any more..

The Bristol based cycle police seem to hang around the centre and rarely venture as far north as my area. Maybe they avoid rush hour because of the nasty cars ?
I do see cycling police, though I admit probably more within the BCC boundary, and I even follow a couple of them on twitter though one has moved onto a different job which seems more car based. The other one that I follow, I bump into regularly on a bike, and he's very good at booking cars parked badly but that's the priority on his patch that has been set by the neighbourhood meetings.

I think harsher punishments are needed because the chance of getting caught is pretty low and then the fine isn't exactly a deterrent so they carry on.

Top Bottom