How far can a brompton take you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
BentMikey said:
Hahahaha! Have you never seen the bum sores topics on cycling forums? Those ones where the pictures cause you to need mind bleach afterwards? Consider yourself so lucky that I can't find a link atm.

Not on recumbents that's for sure. Do you get bed sores after sleeping in bed for a night? I didn't think so, and that's very nearly how comfortable a good recumbent seat is.

It was a genuine question given you have to pedal which would require some pushing and pulling in the leg department transmitting to some movement I guess in your bum and lower back area. If you're sweating etc it must get a bit damp in the region and you run the risk of sores. If it's not an issue then great for recumbent riders. Is choice of seat like on a conventional bike with saddle important to avoid sores, lacerations, etc?

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Crankarm said:
Anyway why are you even contemplating taking a Brompton on a bus in Cambridge when it is a cycling city....:smile:?

Hi Crankarm, hope all ok with you. I sometimes take the Brompton on the bus if I have to go on somewhere by train for work, It's because I hate leaving my lovely main bike at the station (to get nicked). Its' often if I'm forced (very reluctantly) to go to London for work, cos the train folks are funny about big bikes on their trains to London.

Crankarm

Guru
Glow worm said:
Hi Crankarm, hope all ok with you. I sometimes take the Brompton on the bus if I have to go on somewhere by train for work, It's because I hate leaving my lovely main bike at the station (to get nicked). Its' often if I'm forced (very reluctantly) to go to London for work, cos the train folks are funny about big bikes on their trains to London.

I'm just fine GW. Thanks for asking. Indeed Cambridge station cycle parking facilities aren't that great and I should imagine tea leaves keep an eagle eye out for anything desirable.

Darryl

I often do between 15 and 20 miles on my Brompton, not really as a commute but after work when I'm away from home with no problem. Have done longer rides as well and as an earlier post said it is me not the bike that limites the distance. I have two "big" bikes and don't go any further on those

Origamist

Legendary Member
I've ridden centuries on a Brompton, a Trek (rebadged Dahon) and a Birdy. That said, folding bikes would not me my first choice for longer distance rides, but they are more than capable of covering significant distances, if you are.

A tougher guy than me did the Paris-Brest-Paris (1200km) on a Brompton.

shirokazan

Veteran
jonny jeez said:
Are they comfortable/practical for longer rides?

I mostly use my Brompton for short commuting rides, but I have taken it with me on a couple of short tours. The last one was in August, a 3.5 day jaunt around north Cambridgeshire and Norfolk. The longest day was 89 miles.

Given the choice I'd prefer to use one of my non-folding bikes but it's just so convenient to use the Brompton if I'm using the train to get to/from the starting/end points of the tour.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
I watched three guys complete the Great North Bike Ride of 55 miles on bromptons and I can tell you these guys didn't hang about ... they set a great pace on them.

Big Jack Brass

The main issue with the Brompton regarding lengthy rides is that Brommies wear out faster than "normal" bikes; I expect that other low-riding folders are much the same. Ground clearance is reduced and you're more likely to get water and muck in the gears and on the chain, so regular maintenance is absolutely vital. And I've never had so many punctures in my life as I have with my Brommie and it's allegedly "puncture-proof" Marathon tyres...

Wonderful bike and a joy to ride, but although it can take you just as far as any other bike it wouldn't be my first choice unless there was a real need to make use of its folding abilities.

Crankarm

Guru
Big Jack Brass said:
.... Ground clearance is reduced and you're more likely to get water and muck in the gears and on the chain, so regular maintenance is absolutely vital. And I've never had so many punctures in my life as I have with my Brommie and it's allegedly "puncture-proof" Marathon tyres...

Well I've had none in 8 years and I chose Brompton's Kevlar tyres. So don't know where you are riding yours - Baghdad? Brompton say they are not designed for off road use so low ground clearance is not an issue and maintenance is just the same for any other bike IMHO. In fact maintenance is less because of the rear sealed hub gear. And before you say this these are crap both my Brompton L6 hubs have functioned faultlessly not even needing adjusting. The first was stolen.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
shauncollier said:
If you did it clockwise, how did you cope with this climb? :angry:

thursden_climb_large.jpg

I'd have gone via Worsthorne and Walk Mill to avoid Burnley.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
hi colin,

did it ccw. bit it's just as bad coming the other way from 'the fighting cocks' / 'kettledrum'. the 's' bends nearly made me push. after that it wasn't too bad at first, but the wind kicked in and slowed me down. i was surprised by how much climbing i had done when i mapped it out. it's beautiful up there isn't it?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
ColinJ said:
If you did it clockwise, how did you cope with this climb? :angry:

thursden_climb_large.jpg

I'd have gone via Worsthorne and Walk Mill to avoid Burnley.

yeah i wish i did, thought about it at lane bottoms crossroads then carried on for some reason!! i HATE the climb from burnley, it's just so bloody long and boring!!!

Top Bottom