How far can a brompton take you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Just curious, how long is the average Brompton riders commute.... anyone out there taking on a long-ish commute (say 19 miles) on one?

Are they comfortable/practical for longer rides?

My mind is ticking away......

Arch

Married to Night Train
Any bike can take you any distance, if it's set up right, and comfortable for you.

With the possible exception of the Sinclair A-Bike, or the Itera, but they barely qualify as bikes, one being a roller skate with pretentions, and the other a jelly on wheels.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Never ridden one, but StuAff of this parish often does the FNRttC (60- or 70-odd miles) on a Dahon folder, and fairly whizzes along...

Big Jack Brass

I've heard of people doing the Dunwich Dynamo on a Brompton. Not been that far myself, but earlier this year I did the Mobberley Eight (named after the nine pubs visited... :angry:) which would have been around twenty or thirty... it's a bit of a convoluted ride. Very comfy with a broken-in Brooks saddle. I was riding the three-speed, which generally meant going just a little faster than ideal but they eat up the miles.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I have heard of someone riding the length of Europe (south to north) on a Brompton, but I don't think anyone has yet ridden one around the world... :angry:

I'm sure there are people who commute much further than 19 miles regularly on one. Though a chunk of the journey will of course be on a train.....

Sorry, just being pedantic, you asked about commuting length, not about riding one :angry:

Crankarm

Guru
I should imagine a Brompton has been around the world taken by some brave dedicated owner. They do indeed receive a more welcoming reception than fixed frame bikes and draw a lot of attention - young chavs.

If you go on A2B you will find your are amongst diehard Bromptonians.

I've done the major Cols of the Pyrenees on mine on a 3 week tour encompassing the Bearn and the Basque regions.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yeah AndyGates did the Dynamo on his brompton last year. Quite impressed!

I borrowed a mates Dahon last year, and it was f'kin painful to ride in comparison with either my fixed or my recumbent. So much slower it hurt my brain. That said, it was a lot of fun, very nice handling.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
The most I've done on my Brompton is only about 10 miles. It was fine but prob a bit uncomfotable for much longer. Could get a better saddle I guess. I don't carry p*nct*** repair kit with the Brompton so would be stuck if the fairy struck. I've mended one P******* on the Bromptom and it was a nightmare (back wheel). Took me hours to fix and lots of swearing, so I stick to my other bike for longer distances.

One word of warning to Cambridge Brompton folks- there's a nazi style bus supervisor now at the bus station who won't let you get on the bus with a Brompton unless it's in a bag. Utter crap. The drivers are fine with it, so just cycle to the next stop from the bus station and get on there,

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I used to do my 9 mile commute on my Brompton sometimes, mainly because I liked to show it off. It was fine for that.

I'd use it for longer rides simply because if I was going somewhere I'd take it with me. Never did more than 50 miles, but I wouldn't've ruled out a longer ride if it worked out that way.

Crankarm

Guru
BentMikey said:
Yeah AndyGates did the Dynamo on his brompton last year. Quite impressed!

I borrowed a mates Dahon last year, and it was f'kin painful to ride in comparison with either my fixed or my recumbent. So much slower it hurt my brain. That said, it was a lot of fun, very nice handling.

BM do you get sores sitting on your bum in a recumbent? No, seriously, say sitting for a few hours or the whole day? Wouldn't you have to stop and have a massage? Just curious as people who are bed ridden are prone to bed sores unless they turn and wash regularly. Can't be good sitting in the same position on your bum. A recumbent is not like a conventional bike where you can get out of the saddle every now and again and re-compose as it were.

Crankarm

Guru
Glow worm said:
One word of warning to Cambridge Brompton folks- there's a nazi style bus supervisor now at the bus station who won't let you get on the bus with a Brompton unless it's in a bag. Utter crap. The drivers are fine with it, so just cycle to the next stop from the bus station and get on there,

In the Blues Brothers the Nazis get their comeuppance when I think Dan Ackroyd drives a huge bus at them as they goose step over a bridge. They're forced to jump off which is rather funnny.

Does your Nazi style bus supervisor dress as an SS stormtrooper :smile:.

Anyway why are you even contemplating taking a Brompton on a bus in Cambridge when it is a cycling city....:biggrin:?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Crankarm said:
BM do you get sores sitting on your bum in a recumbent? No, seriously, say sitting for a few hours or the whole day? Wouldn't you have to stop and have a massage? Just curious as people who are bed ridden are prone to bed sores unless they turn and wash regularly. Can't be good sitting in the same position on your bum. A recumbent is not like a conventional bike where you can get out of the saddle every now and again and re-compose as it were.

Hahahaha! Have you never seen the bum sores topics on cycling forums? Those ones where the pictures cause you to need mind bleach afterwards? Consider yourself so lucky that I can't find a link atm.

Not on recumbents that's for sure. Do you get bed sores after sleeping in bed for a night? I didn't think so, and that's very nearly how comfortable a good recumbent seat is.

Top Bottom