How far can a brompton take you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Big Jack Brass said:
I've heard of people doing the Dunwich Dynamo on a Brompton. Not been that far myself, but earlier this year I did the Mobberley Eight (named after the nine pubs visited... :smile:) which would have been around twenty or thirty... it's a bit of a convoluted ride. Very comfy with a broken-in Brooks saddle. I was riding the three-speed, which generally meant going just a little faster than ideal but they eat up the miles.

I've seen someone doing the London Olympic tri on a Brompton - 40k cycle, and I saw a lady doing the Dunwich Dynamo on a Raleigh Twenty.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Done 25 miles on my M6R accompanying Mrs B on her Claud Butler Ravanna MTB. No real issues, as usual I beat her up the hills and she caught me on the way down. Only discomfort was lack of variation in bar position. Left with thought that either I should have got a P type or that bar ends might be a good investment. Could easily have gone further.

Might try the Fnrttc next year.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Would this be a bad time to mention my embryonic plan to do a TNRttC on one, and continue on to Paris?
Someone please lock me up for my own safety...

Crankarm

Guru
andyfromotley said:
In the case of Grand Designs Kevin McCloud, well known bromptonista - not bloody far enough.

Oi! No dissing Kev ....... :biggrin:

Doesn't he ride an olde hardtail MTB?

Keeps crashing into things as well.

He's a good egg.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
chap said:

Fantastic quote..."his folding bicyle, also known as a brompton bicycle".

Must be great to be a journo!!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I've ridden mine all over North Sutherland and around the Netherlands, up to 50-odd miles at a stretch but in commuting terms, I've never done more than 10 miles each way. People seem to be amazed how fast I can go on it. That said, for anything more than double-figures, I would prefer to be on something faster (given the choice). The pedals are the one thing I don't like and will be replacing.

chap

Veteran
shauncollier said:
i agree, the pedals suck, way way too small. i'm now on shimano flats, just need some power grips

I find them more than fine for heeled shoes; the heel acts as a sort of clip. But I would imagine that they are easy to replace.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
ColinJ said:
If you did it clockwise, how did you cope with this climb? :rolleyes:

thursden_climb_large.jpg

did it today colin, part of this route.....
www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=25799

i cleaned the hills but only averaged 10 mph so i know coming on your ride i will be seriously be holding you up. it will probably take me 6 hrs. how long do think the group will do it in? beware it was icy up there. one place near slack is so bad they've put warning signs up. it was really windy and bloody freezing.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I don't know, to me SPDs on a Brommie just feels wrong. For me, it's all about the 'hop on, hop off' experience: tuck your trousers into your socks and be on your way. Having to change into cycling shoes doesn't seem quite how these things should be done. :-)

Top Bottom