Votes: 373 26.2%
  • 11-15 miles

Votes: 300 21.1%
  • 16-20 miles

Votes: 167 11.8%
  • >20 miles

Votes: 252 17.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AhThisFeckinThing

Mine is 20 miles each way - currently doing it twice a week (only started 6 weeks ago or so), but about to up it to 3 soon. Generally downhill on the way into the city, uphill home
I am looking at going from 20 mile round trip to 40, through work. Is it really a big difference, how do you find it. I have been doing the 20 for last three years, but 40 a day, that sounds worse than smoking ?!

carolonabike

5 miles in, 7 miles home (more scenic route) or, like last night when it's a really lovely night and I have time, 14miles home.

MichaelO

Veteran
I am looking at going from 20 mile round trip to 40, through work. Is it really a big difference, how do you find it. I have been doing the 20 for last three years, but 40 a day, that sounds worse than smoking ?!
I've found it easier than I expected - I did two days back to back a couple of weeks ago, and was definitely tired once I got home! It's taking about 1hr 10-1hr 20 and I'm definitely not what you'd call fit! I'm going to move to 3 days (M, W,F) so that I have a "rest" day in between - and I think that's very doable now. A lot depends on how hilly the route is - I've added a mile to mine to avoid a steep section - I'll switch back to the slightly shorter route at some point, when I'm feeling up to it

gentlegreen

Just under 4 miles going, 5 and a half miles home - 25 minutes each way - with just enough of a hill (the Bristol Frome valley).
I've more than once kicked myself for leaving it 20 years before changing my homeward journey from clogged suburban / urban roads to countryside / wooded parkland and now get to use even more of the wonderful Bristol to Bath railway path- but it couldn't have happened before I had obtained lights suitable for unlit roads and paths. I now usually encounter only a handful of cars each day.

I'm a bit sluggish in the morning because I'm over 50 and ride in on empty, but I ride home about as hard as I can - I count myself extremely lucky to be travelling in the opposite direction to everyone else so with care get in a decent sprint for the last couple of miles.

I now try to extend my homeward journey by 15 miles at least twice a week by turning the wrong way on the railway path - the few percent gradient on the 9 mile ride home is super-moreish and I enjoy the (now longer) final sprint so much more being properly warmed-up. Yet again, how could I have ignored that "green gym" for so long ?

fuji-stu

I live in Grasmere and am commuting to Ambleside via Red bank in Grasmere and then Over the top at the far end of Langdale past blea tarn...the weathers not always as kind as it was in those pics last week though unfortunately

chi

52 miles 5 days a week at 46x14.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
My theory is that the commuting sweet spot is between 6 and 10 miles - enough to make it a decent exercise, but not too far to take too much time out of your day.
Looks like the results back up my theory.

Thierry Beliere

My theory is that the commuting sweet spot is between 6 and 10 miles - enough to make it a decent exercise, but not too far to take too much time out of your day.
Looks like the results back up my theory.

Doing 6 miles back and forth 5 days a week, so about 200 days a year for a total of 2400 miles a year.
Luckily I have showers at work place, otherwise I could not really cycle to work, as it is uphill.

Top Bottom