how far on a hybrid?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mark1974, 19 Jul 2012.

1. mark1974

mark1974 Active Member

just wondering how far anyone has cycled on a hybrid?
    and how long before you changed to a road bike or not?

cheers

2. MarkF

MarkF Legendary Member

Just cycled across Spain, Bilbao to Malaga on a Specialized Sirrus Sport. I only used that because my other bike was stolen, prior to the trip I'd ridden about 50 miles on it, in 2 rides only, a few days before I flew out. No problems, we fitted together after 2 or 3 days.

Toured before several times on a Dawes Discovery, hybrids suit me, I've tried a tourer (Dawes Horizon) but went back, it's whatever suits/fits you best.

Norm and Jodee1kenobi like this.
  3. Its down to the individual but I did a couple of centuries on my Sirrus Spors before I progressed to a road bike.

4. Peteaud

Peteaud Veteran

Still have my Trek 7500.

Some days its nice to just pootle along.

40 miles is not a proplam

5. ohnovino

ohnovino Large Member

8500 miles on my Trek 7.1 (including one 100-miler) before I got the roadie. It was briefly my second-choice bike, but during the recent wet spell it's regained top spot.

6. Jodee1kenobi

Jodee1kenobi Well-Known Member

I have done 5500 miles on my hybrid (inc an 85 miler) and I will never use another bike for that kind of distance, I had a road bike and didn't get on with it. I always think that the more comfortable you are on a bike the more miles you are likely to do ^_^

7. geo

geo Well-Known Member

Done the C2C twice on my hybrid,but much prefer the road bike
    great avatar by the way :smile:

8. mcshroom

mcshroom Bionic Subsonic

How about all the way round the world

3480202290_1e2e7fdb9f.jpg
    http://www.markbeaumontonline.com/

I haven't ridden that far, but I've done a 200 mile tour and about 90 miles in a single sitting on a hybrid. The only change I made to the standard spec was bar ends.

I switched when I got a drop barred tourer on C2W, which was a much better spec and more than price of the hybrid, but I wouldn't have any worries about touring on my hybrid again

9. MrJamie

MrJamie Oaf on a Bike

Not as much as many here, but 50 miles seemed fine on my front sus. hybrid, certainly comfy enough. I dont have a road bike to compare it to though :smile:

10. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

I've done two long tours on hybids.

4,500 km and 2,500+ km on two different Scott Sportsters. If you have a comfortable saddle, and the bike is set up for you, plus you pack and carry sensibly, then you can ride as far as your legs will take you. :smile:

11. OP
    OP
    mark1974

mark1974 Active Member

YNWA or YNCA
    wow and you are like so young on the avatar hahaha
    and thanks for replys

12. compo

compo Veteran

Dun Run a few weeks ago (120 miles). I went the opposite way to many and went from road bike to hybrid, although I had a hybrid and a road bike. I sold the pair and bought a new Trek hybrid.

13. Part time cyclist

Part time cyclist Über Member

Longest ride so far on my specialized Sirrus is. 106 miles in one go, thinking about doing the London to Paris on it

14. nicruiser

nicruiser Active Member

As above, have a trek 7.1, had it a couple of years now and was the bike that got me into cycling. Would have done about 2000 miles on it. I have tried road bikes but never really got on with them, always go back to hybrid, especially for longer distances, do find it more comfortable which makes the miles easier lol

15. skudupnorth

skudupnorth Cycling Skoda lover

Did Manchester to Cornwall fully loaded on my Sirrus sport,great bike which is still load lugging happily even after four years of abuse ! I added bar ends and a Brookes seat for extra comfort

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice