How good are 10 year old unused bike shorts compared to the latest of the same price?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zeljdenis

Hello!
I have a question.
I am looking for bike shorts and i stumbled upon some pretty cheap used ones.
Now a particular seller is selling some Giordana bib bike shorts,which are about 10 years old. He's selling them for 20 dollars. Though he said he only used them for a few months and since then they've been in his wardrobe.
He yet has to tell me how much they cost when he bought them but considering the cheapest bike shorts of the Giordana brand come at around 200 dollars , they should be of quality.

So my question is are the bike bib shorts that you can buy today better ergonomically and technologically advanced than the ones they sold 10 years ago ? I don't know if the chamois is better in the ones they sell today.

Thank you

I've been cycling since chamois were made of chamois and have never really felt an improvement in "technology"* since then. A good pair of shorts will have the seams in the right place and all of the rest is over to how easy they are to care for. To me it all comes down to the fit. The pad must be in the right place, the elastics must be just so and and and.

Note that Lycra (spandex, whatever) deteriorates with age, even when it is not used. Old Lycra loses its elasticity.

But the over-riding issue is using someone else's second hand cycling shorts. This is just a bit too close for comfort. I bet a cheap pair of new shorts is infinitely better than a slightly used pair of old ones.

vickster

Legendary Member
You do realise bike shorts are worn commando...if you do buy them, wash them several times with detergent and disinfectant... ;)

Perhaps just buy some new ones of a less costly brand

Last edited:

Roxy641

Hello!
I have a question. I am looking for bike shorts and i stumbled upon some pretty cheap used ones.
.........................So my question is are the bike bib shorts that you can buy today better ergonomically and technologically advanced than the ones they sold 10 years ago ? I don't know if the chamois is better in the ones they sell today.

Thank you

Couldn't you find shorts just as cheap in a charity shop? Not only would you be able to see them for yourself, but you
could also try them on in the shop's changing room. You'd also be helping a good cause.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Couldn't you find shorts just as cheap in a charity shop? Not only would you be able to see them for yourself, but you
could also try them on in the shop's changing room. You'd also be helping a good cause.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Yuk!! Smell them before you try them on though, you don't where they've been or how often they've been there.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No folks other shorts, really. As mentioned, the lycra material does age.

OP
OP
Z

zeljdenis

Alright , i guess i'll just stick to buying new ones then.
I know this is not topic-related , but , are 40 dollar bib shorts good enough? I don't know what i get in terms of quality on shorts that are more expensive.
I'm 260 pounds heavy and i don't need them to be lightweight or anything like that.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
260pounds equates to 18.5 stones, you would need reasonably good quality shorts to give you a decent pad / chamois, can you get DHB shorts where you live? They come highly recommended by many of the cycle chat members including myself.

vickster

Legendary Member
260pounds eqates to 18.5 stones, you would need reasonably good quality shorts to give you a decent pad / chamois, can you get DHB shorts where you live? They come highly recommended by many of the cycle chat members including myself.
He's in the US, DHB are Wiggle Uk (they may deliver I guess, but perhaps high cost)

Top Bottom