How green was my tomato plant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Yup! Well spotted! All bolted & useless mind. We'll try to do better next year.
Bolted, but not useless! You've got more "normal" leaves than we have, but it's still OK if finely chopped. You can even get the same flavour from the roots. I don't know why it's always so quick to bolt - maybe need to keep watering it, I guess.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
So green

View attachment 538553

Have to say they are a daily joy to me - as lovely as any flowers. And they just get better and better. And then you get to eat them!

@Dave7
@Poacher
@lazybloke

Doing very well here, bit more sunshine and will have a bumper crop. Yours?
76EB406A-EC4E-4BF9-91BE-4DC7FFB61683.jpeg

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
@Dave7
@Poacher
@lazybloke

Doing very well here, bit more sunshine and will have a bumper crop. Yours?
View attachment 543828
Not so good here generally; just enough Gardeners Delight from the greenhouse for our needs.

I didn't keep on top of pinching out side shoots and leaders, so there's a huge amount of vegetation and not much fruit.
Greenhouse bell peppers about ready to pick, reasonable returns from a single pot.

Outdoor tomatoes, specifically the Pink Brandywine, producing a huge crop, but stubbornly failing to ripen.
There must be well over a Kg in this truss alone.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I got someone to buy a cheapo bottom heater. Happier with that specially as it's not to big and not to noisy. The excalibur one is in a shed so often forget to turn it off! I am going to put the excalibur one on ebay.
Oh that's interesting to know, i've got one of those plasticky multi tray bottom dryer ones, which i use mainly for green veg, to take on trips -
( Chlorophyllaphile me :rolleyes:)

@Notafettler @mudsticks I'd be interested to know which brand of plasticky, cheapo bottom heating dryers you use. I'm having a look & I'm a bit wary of the ultra cheap ones on Amazon with unknown brand names. I'm wondering if it's better to get a slightly more pricey one.

@annedonnelly
Homcom 5 tray. Daughters bought it for me. No idea where from not available on Amazon but there is reviews. Only 4 out of 5 didn't read the reviews. Done 8 jars of toms see below various oils. Forgot to add chilli to some

Very very happy with it so far.
1 it takes up considerably less room than the excalibur.
2 I think it works better than the excalibur as long as you constantly move the trays round.
The latter is the down side.
My excalibur is on ebay for £120. A bit late to put it on as a lot will have finished dehydrating?
Either way glad it was bought for me. Note I am not sure there is a lot of difference between the bottom heating ones. Element and fan, surely they can make them all of equal quality? Assuming that the latter don't actually all come from the same suppier? Guarantees is what I would look at.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
@Notafettler @mudsticks I'd be interested to know which brand of plasticky, cheapo bottom heating dryers you use. I'm having a look & I'm a bit wary of the ultra cheap ones on Amazon with unknown brand names. I'm wondering if it's better to get a slightly more pricey one.

Sorry Anne, I went to hunt for ours to check out the brand name.

Took me a while to realise a friend is borrowing it right now.

But I think it's a not particularly well known make - certainly not high end.

You pays your money, you makes your choice, but more money doesn't necessarily seem to mean better results in this case.

I've heard from other dehydrators (people - not the appliances themselves) that sometimes better results are had with the more basic models.

Especially if you periodically swap up and down the trays.

Depends what you're drying.

I shall probs 'semi dry' the last of the super sweet cherry toms, then put them up with oil a bit like notafettler has done.

If you bung in some basil in too you end up with a nicely flavoured oil for dressings.

We also have some silicone inserts to line the trays with, for smaller bits and pieces, or for making fruit leather, or dehydrating 'whole meals' for trips etc.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
You pays your money, you makes your choice, but more money doesn't necessarily seem to mean better results in this case.

I've heard from other dehydrators (people - not the appliances themselves) that sometimes better results are had with the more basic models.

Especially if you periodically swap up and down the trays.

Thank you, that sort of info is useful.

In my attempts to re-use, re-cycle, etc. I like to buy things like this second hand so I'm keeping an eye on Ebay but don't want to waste time buying one that is rubbish.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Thank you, that sort of info is useful.

In my attempts to re-use, re-cycle, etc. I like to buy things like this second hand so I'm keeping an eye on Ebay but don't want to waste time buying one that is rubbish.
You'll never make a salesperson with that attitude :laugh:

I've just paid £20 for an Andrew James one on Buy it now. It's enough to pay to have a play with.

Good call.

This one was second hand and still seems to be fine after 6 (?) + years - there's not much to go wrong - she says - tempting fate - and easy enough to clean so S/H should be fine.

I'd imagine there would be quite a few floating about on gumtree or wherever as they take up quite a lot of storage space , and i spose often sit there gathering dust and grumbles after the initial enthusiasm has worn off -

Have fun desiccating everything in sight .. :okay:

Top Bottom