How green was my tomato plant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We grew these last year after being given some by a friend:

https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/tomato-black-russian-heritage/319TM

The nicest tomatoes we've ever eaten. This year, we had a large planter full of seedlings of this variety that were wiped out overnight by slugs :sad:
I made a rambling post somewhere here regarding slug control. A planter is perfect for the application of Mr Volts. PP3 battery and cheapo connector. Two lengths of wire, no insulation or resin coating. Some sussing out of how to attach the two wires a fingers width apart around the planter. Totally slug proof all year and the next if you bring the battery indoors in autumn.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Easy to deal with
View attachment 540252

Coop (robbers) best quality British rapeseed oil. Garlic, Rosemary and Thyme.
And of course dehydrated tomatoes (tumbling toms).
I will probably get 15 of that size jar possibly more, from18 decent plants.
Have to put in cupboard for at least a year.

That looks, and sounds delicious.

Very much in favour of storing up some sunshine like that for the winter, and will definitely preserve some in various ways.

However with 500 plants cropping something like 1.5 tonne over the season I might run out of jars, or shelf space, fairly soon.

I think I'm going to have to carry on converting at least some of them, into cold hard, soulless cash :blush:

What sort of dehydrator do you use by the way??

500 plants cropping something like 1.5 tonne

And I thought you were little ag.

Best job I ever had was a year on a farm in the south of France. Potatotes, toms and then on to peaches, nectarines and apricots. Hauling myself up the ladder at 6 in the morning to park my hangover at the top of a peach tree, with the Med on one side and the snow-topped Pyrennees on the other, was heaven.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
And I thought you were little ag.

Best job I ever had was a year on a farm in the south of France. Potatotes, toms and then on to peaches, nectarines and apricots. Hauling myself up the ladder at 6 in the morning to park my hangover at the top of a peach tree, with the Med on one side and the snow-topped Pyrennees on the other, was heaven.

Well I'd quite happily sit in a peach tree gazing out over the Pyrenees.

In fact having that range 'just there' would pretty much complete my life.

So long as i was allowed to go and 'play ' in it from time to time..
IMG_20160905_092632 (1).jpg

Just cos i run a small farm, doesn't mean it can't have big productivity :smile:

That looks, and sounds delicious.

Very much in favour of storing up some sunshine like that for the winter, and will definitely preserve some in various ways.

However with 500 plants cropping something like 1.5 tonne over the season I might run out of jars, or shelf space, fairly soon.

I think I'm going to have to carry on converting at least some of them, into cold hard, soulless cash :blush:

What sort of dehydrator do you use by the way??
Always used the excalibur one, expensive and large. The claim is because it heats from the back it will dry everything evenly. Therefore avoiding moveing trays around which you have to do with the bottom heating one. Problem is that it dry the ones near the fan so you have to turn the trays round. I got someone to buy a cheapo bottom heater. Happier with that specially as it's not to big and not to noisy. The excalibur one is in a shed so often forget to turn it off! I am going to put the excalibur one on ebay.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Always used the excalibur one, expensive and large. The claim is because it heats from the back it will dry everything evenly. Therefore avoiding moveing trays around which you have to do with the bottom heating one. Problem is that it dry the ones near the fan so you have to turn the trays round. I got someone to buy a cheapo bottom heater. Happier with that specially as it's not to big and not to noisy. The excalibur one is in a shed so often forget to turn it off! I am going to put the excalibur one on ebay.

Oh that's interesting to know, i've got one of those plasticky multi tray bottom dryer ones, which i use mainly for green veg, to take on trips -
( Chlorophyllaphile me :rolleyes:)

But had heard about the fancy pants, expensive types and wondered if it was worth investing.

My main interest would be for dehydrating complete meals for backpacking / bikepacking - but maybe the pricey ones are overrated after all - dunno - still tempted .

Anyhow further tomatoes..

Oh that's interesting to know, i've got one of those plasticky multi tray bottom dryer ones
Yep thats the type I used for the first jar of tomatoes. I will probably stick with it. Its no big deal swapping trays round. If you have a lot to do i wouldn't even bother ie keep taking the bottom tray out refill it and put it at the top.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yes that swapping layers how I do parsley, spinach etc for taking away.

Tend to do toms as reduced passata, and freeze in bags for the winter..

Not as sexy as your jars but a bit quicker for processing big quantities maybe.

My main interest would be for dehydrating complete meals for backpacking / bikepacking - but maybe the pricey ones are
The excalibur may work for large meals. If you want to fully fully dehydrate. It won't matter to much if you have to turn the trays.
You can also miss out trays and dehydrate large items, useful for meat. Assuming you are not a herbivores.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Ours are likewise:

View attachment 540862

Never seen 'em cropping like this. Three plants, all collapsing under the sheer weight of fruit. Nightmare. ^_^
Is that coriander I can see? We'll be using some of ours, rapidly bolting, to use up a glut of courgettes with Madhur Jaffrey's courgette meatball recipe.
We've been picking Gardener's Delight from an outdoor raised bed for a while, and the outdoor Pink Brandywine is producing a huge crop, though still green. By contrast the greenhouse equivalents are late and sparse. Here's our first Pink Brandywine from the greenhouse - we decided to put it out of its obvious misery with some mozzarella, basil and olive oil.

Judging by the leaves in the OP I've got a tomato plant growing in my garden. I didn't plant it though, the seeds must have come from bird droppings.
I expect lots of tomatoe plants to grow from my own compost. The seeds are difficult to kill off. I always bury my compost. IE in the garden remove at least 6" of top soil put in compost and put back top soil back. Aim/hope is to get less weeds coming through. Still doesn't stop tomato seeding. About six this year. One just popped up in a shallow trough of spinach. I have decided to plant in greenhouse see what I get.
As an aside birds do not eat seeds normally. When they peck at apples they never go through to the seeds. In fact they only peck an apple a few times before moving to another apple. So it is probably in animal poo not birds due to there habit of pecking a few times and moving to another plant. Also I have never had birds peck at my tomatoes.

Top Bottom