How green was my tomato plant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Olive oil, a clove of garlic finely chopped, 30 secs, then in with the chopped onion. Seasoning, basil, maybe a tsp of sugar 10 mins till the onion goes soft and transparent. Add one can Napolina chopped tomatoes, good splash of wine, good splurge of tomato puree, mix, bring to boil, lower heat to as near nothing as possible, cover, leave for 10 minutes, have a look and a stir, if it all looks ok, leave to simmer for a couple of hours, checking/stirring after an hour, adding/removing lid/water as necessary to get thickness as you prefer.

Add leaves from

1596028505928.png

One pound something from Sainsburys and now look at it!

And that's after it was extensively raided last night:

1596028710196.png

No, I don't take pictures of my food as a rule - I was just suddenly struck by the Italianness. Red white green and all that.

Anyway, a good tin of tomatoes is nothing to be sad about.

It's all good.

Oooomm

:becool:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Just one of the trusses on my toms

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I've watered my tomato plants religiously, an they still look like they've crawled across the Kalahari on a teaspoon full of seawater. They're still giving me a good crop though.

Slightly underwatering is better than over watering ( unless you're growing in grow bags or hanging baskets I suppose)

Frugal watering once the plants are mature reduces chance of fruit splitting or blight, and ups the flavour :okay:

Sharky

Guru
I'm very new to tomato growing and have a question.
One of the plants is growing "cherry tomatoes" and beginning to turn red. Some are red and some are still green on the same bunch. Do you wait until they all turn red before picking or pick them off individually? Will they continue to ripen if I cut the whole bunch off?

Thanks

Sharky

Guru
Re previous

IMG_20200730_185701.jpg

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm very new to tomato growing and have a question.
One of the plants is growing "cherry tomatoes" and beginning to turn red. Some are red and some are still green on the same bunch. Do you wait until they all turn red before picking or pick them off individually? Will they continue to ripen if I cut the whole bunch off?

Thanks
Take 'em off as they ripen. The little green ones will continue to get bigger, then red, then you eat them too! The only time to take whole stems and ripen off the plant is at the end of the season, when ripening outside is no longer an option.

Sharky

Guru
Take 'em off as they ripen. The little green ones will continue to get bigger, then red, then you eat them too! The only time to take whole stems and ripen off the plant is at the end of the season, when ripening outside is no longer an option.
thanks - will do

Cheating nature at some cost (kWh and attention), the plants these came from germinated in mid February and placed under full spectrum LED with controlled soil temperature in 11L pots transferred to beds in late April. First truss cut off, moved to beds with first three sets of leaves trimmed as second truss flowers set. Its stressful for the plants and the yield is no better than a natural grow but here with plenty of sun when spring finally starts it makes an early crop. I do it to confuse my neighbours who are perhaps less competitive than me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom