How Hard can it be? (bike build?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Just be aware, its addictive, you will always be looking at the next build even when you know its wasting money and the kids could do with new shoes, go for it.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If it is anything like building motorbikes here are my tips:

Dont ever restore a bike in the vain hope of making money when you sell it on. Do it for the experience, the learning process and the pleasure.

Dont ever ask if you should respray it. You will get a split vote of 50)50 which will confuse you more. Its your bike and your money, you decide.

Buy the right tools to do the job. Because when you scrathch your newly painted frame by using the wrong tool on a job, you will be really pixxed at how stupid you are....You will use the tools again.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
I'm now looking at the Planet X carbon road frames, that blue one is gorgeous and it would be a bigger difference from my current than the Gios?

This could go south awfully quick. Thanks for the input guys!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
My only concern would be compatible parts, modern frames tend to differ in tube widths and top pull /bottom pull derailleurs

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Well, it's a massive pain and a stupid idea...... unless you have the right tools. Seriously, get the right tools for the job, and so long as you have a natural mechanical inclination, you will be fine.

My personal thoughts are get not only the right tool, but get a quality tool as well -the downside? It can be very expensive to get yourself setup that's all. But good luck, you will be fine!

*another poster alluded to this, but also make sure you are knowledgeable about the frame -e.g. an older Raleigh frame can't take modern bbs without some serious messing around.... be aware an older road frame won't necessarily take a 700c wheelset -even with extra long reach brake calipres!

S.Giles

The pleasure I derive from riding my bike increased considerably when I taught myself to work on it and keep it properly tuned-up. I built my bike up from a £60 Ebay (Carrera Kraken) basket-case, which probably cost around another £100 to strip-down and put straight. I've since ridden several thousand miles on it and have never regretted doing it, although it did take many hours, and the finished product probably isn't worth (in purely monetary terms, at any rate) what I put into it. It was a great learning experience and has permanently de-mystified bicycle maintenance for me, which is priceless in itself.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
To those of you alluding to older frames being a little more difficult - I hear ya loud and clear. I'm a horrendous googler with such matters.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It would be a cruel man that didn't give me a full lowdown and follow up! I'm thinking that frame with either a part used Ultegra set, or maybe even dabble in a little campag... Dribble.
I'll give the lowdown tomorrow, it's still in the box.

Ribble are discounting Campag groupsets at the moment, £279 for Veloce. I'm tempted as I prefer Campag, but may still transfer the Jap stuff from my other bike. Mrs SJ happily approved the frame but I think a complete new bike might be pushing it.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The cutting tools for facing, reaming & tapping the BB shell, seat tube, head tube and fork crown are too expensive for the home mechanic.
If you are buying a new frame, you should always check that it is or will be prepared for building up, and pay for preparation if necessary.

Top Bottom