How has your year been?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'll start ... it's been the most awful year of my life, but is finishing on 2 highs...

1) Daughter injured for life in terrible accident.
2) Separated from Mrs Fnaar after nearly 30 years together.
3) Genuinely moved to private tears by the support I got on here, in private messages and in sponsorship for the 100-mile ride I did in summer to raise money for a charity connected with the cause of daughter's accident. (raised over £3,000, much of it from CC'ers)
4) All my kids now at uni ... lovely to see them happy and independent (incl the daughter who had accident ... now back studying to finish her degree)
5) Have met someone new ... all going (very) well ... yum yum
6) Am editing a book for one of my fave musicians

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Mine could be the opposite.

4 years ago we started saving money to go on holiday to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary.

In the mean time we discovered tandems..... so we have 2 out of that money!

We decided not to go on one big fancy holiday, so we had lots of smaller breaks this year

Mallorca
Porto
Valencia
Brittany
Menorca
Cotswolds
And we are currently in Berlin.

It's nice. For our first 10 years of marriage we went to my parents for a week as that's all we could afford!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Average, although i did enjoy a week in the USA, seeing long lost cousins in the blue ridge mountains and my third total eclipse... and work's going well. But the whole year has been a bit crap since one of my oldest and closest friends discovered he has cancer back in February.

TVC

An average year really.

No illness to speak of.
Slightly more money in the bank than at the beginning.
A couple of very enjoyable holidays including seeing my first Humpback Whales.
Accidently ended up running a cycling club.
No dramas, no tears.

vickster

Legendary Member
Nothing especially notable I guess, don't know where this year has disappeared to!

MSK health has been pretty ropey (diagnosis of possible early inflammatory arthritis :sad: ) but for the first year since 2011 I've needed no orthopaedic surgery (other than a few injections which don't count)! Not been great for cycling or my weight (I'll be on a diet again after the new year most likely)

Still not settled the personal injury claim for being knocked off in Feb 2014 (partly linked to the above)

Work has been pretty constant so that's good

Couple of holidays - week in Mallorca with the 'girls' and nearly 3 weeks in Asia (a couple of days longer than planned thanks to acute gastroenteritis xx()

Spectacularly uneventful love life (again :rolleyes:)

Almost moved house but luckily someone else was in a position sooner to buy the house I was interested in (has saved me a fortune and a load of stress I don't need)

Most crazily...I have NOT bought a bike (either new or used) this year...:ohmy: (yet :rolleyes:)

Julia9054

Guru
Couple of health issues this year to remind me that I'm not immortal, one which effectively ruined last Christmas and New Year, terrified the life out of me but turned out to be nothing. The other a nasty infection at Easter with the upside that I effortlessly shed the 10 pounds I had been meaning to get around to losing since taking up beer!

Not as much cycling as I would have liked due to my regular partners having knee/babysitting issues respectively and me being too antisocial to join a club.

A birthday ending in a zero!

U

User32269

Lots of highs and one big massive low.
Despite the kids driving me insane, it's been great watching them grow and develop.
A couple of nice holidays and weekends away really hit the spot.
I've recently changed jobs and fortunately it's all gone well and I'm happy in work.
My best friend has moved away, and I miss him and his kids more than I could ever have imagined.
My Dad's health has deteriorated drastically this year, heart and kidney failure. He's back in hospital and I'm due to see someone later tonight to discuss getting him home and putting a support package in place to enable him to spend the time he has at home with his family if possible. So sad watching a fine strong man just fade away.

Finally, after decades of cycling, I got my first ever new bike this year!

arch684

Veteran
It's been a long year for me,illness x2 lost a couple of friends and no holidays. Highlight of my year was buying a new bike,sad really

Nonethewiser

I'm still alive (there's a couple of weeks to go yet though!) and health seems to be OK so praise be for that. I don't worry so much about getting older anymore and I'm grateful for every day I get. Otherwise, an uneventful year certainly when compared to others in the recent past when there's been death in the family. And I started cycling again and I'm glad that I did.

gbb

Legendary Member
Average for me...erring on the good side.
We've become like second parents to the mother if our latest grandaughter, mums a rough diamond but a very interesting...if occasionally a bit loopy, character. Love her to bits...occasionally can't' be doing with her flips. I like to think we've brought a lot into each others lives.
Cycling started ok, enjoyed the summer but am struggling again for motivation...I've never regained my mojo after TB.
Mums just broke her hip but at 87 she' still with it and with us...so that's good.

Work at our new facility has been generally good...not the best job I ever had, certainly not the best paid but more than good enough..and it' all under control so no complaints there.

Top Bottom