How has your year been?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A mixed year overall, dominated by me being injured from April 2016, in a sort-of monthly order below:

+ Appeared on TV with Son no 2 on The Bike Channel; he roller raced against Ned Boulting and won
+ Parents managed to get moved to a retirement-friendly place and location after years of trying
- Had to stop my doctorate as a result of my inability to keep going for more than a few hours each day
+ Taught some lovely (and a few not-so-lovely) students and didn't get fired from the university where I work (clearly I didn't try too hard there then)
+ Celebrated 25 years of marriage - nearly forgot that!
+ Son no 2's had a good year of racing (3rd UK 1st yr U14, track qualified, good results in crits, TT, track and hillclimb)
+ Did LEL in under 100 hours despite major injuries :dance:
+ Son no 1 got decent AS grades and looks set for university next year / year after
- Had 2 operations following last year's crash and subsequent damage, but the 2nd was far more major than thought ... I'm a long way from recovery
+ SWMBO's started a new course which might change her career direction

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
So sorry to hear of your ups and downs. Hopefully you can look towards a new dawn next year, I’m sure you will go onwards and upwards.

We, and particularly me have been kept amused by Ms Goodbody’s antics, for which I have to thank you. Long live the non PC brigade!

My year wasn’t too bad despite missing out on a U.K. trip, but that will come in the new year and another in early summer to do some cycle touring there.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Not a great deal happened but still a good 2017.

1. My eldest daughter passed her first year of her law degree at Leeds Uni. I’m a really proud father.
2. The same daughter is learning Japanese, I watched a you tube presentation last week and she is fantastic, I’ve never seen her speaking the language with such confidence.
3. My younger daughter passed all her mocks.
4. My wife has said ‘one in one out’ so I haven’t bought any new bikes as I can’t bear the thought of getting rid of any.
5. Finally mortgage free which feels rather nice.

@Fnaar , I’m pleased things are looking up for you and wish you all the best for the new year.

Edit- 6. 20th wedding anniversary last September.

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
A normal year for me. Nothing much different from last year except for:
- bought a new bike.
- nice summer holiday in Kos.
- complete fall out with one grandson ( 27 years old) until he grows up and behaves like one.
- Cycled more miles in summer than previous year.
- Health still good. (presently 67 years old).
- a bit wealthier than last year.
- still working to keep boredom at bay and top up pension.

Good feckin' riddance 2017 in our house.........................

Fathers prostate cancer has further metastasized, he's now fully immobile and has had to go into a nursing home.

My Mothers various mobility issues looks like she may not be far behind him.

Mrs Smoo's Grandfather has gone into a care home with dementia.

Mother in Law has had to move into her parents house to look after her Mother.

Our dog had to have cruciate ligament surgery, recovery was compromised leading to additional surgery.

We had to cancel our holiday for a combination of all the above.

On the upside, there has to be one right?

The dog is now looking good for a full recovery.

Miss Smoo's home schooling has continued apace and she's doing really well.

Holiday re-booked for 2018.

Got a new bike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
So sorry to hear of your ups and downs. Hopefully you can look towards a new dawn next year, I’m sure you will go onwards and upwards.

We, and particularly me have been kept amused by Ms Goodbody’s antics, for which I have to thank you. Long live the non PC brigade!

Not a great deal happened but still a good 2017.
@Fnaar , I’m pleased things are looking up for you and wish you all the best for the new year.
Thank you. This year, if I'm in a "glass-half-full" mode (as I am tonight), has certainly helped me put things in perspective, especially my daughter's accident. Her life changed forever in the space of about a minute. I am never going to waste my time again, and have made it my duty to move forward and look for the positives in life, grab them, and make the most of them.

I'll start ... it's been the most awful year of my life, but is finishing on 2 highs...

1) Daughter injured for life in terrible accident.
2) Separated from Mrs Fnaar after nearly 30 years together.
3) Genuinely moved to private tears by the support I got on here, in private messages and in sponsorship for the 100-mile ride I did in summer to raise money for a charity connected with the cause of daughter's accident. (raised over £3,000, much of it from CC'ers)
4) All my kids now at uni ... lovely to see them happy and independent (incl the daughter who had accident ... now back studying to finish her degree)
5) Have met someone new ... all going (very) well ... yum yum
6) Am editing a book for one of my fave musicians
I missed number 2 but glad to hear things are looking up :okay:

screenman

Legendary Member
Youngest son moved out January 1st, massive party that night with just the two of us, 43 years of having kids at home and now just the two of us, brilliant.

"2 x 10 night trips too Turkey, 15 nights in hotels in Uk at varoius places and quite a few nights in the caravan, all to celebrate Pam's 60th which was in April.

Money wise a good year so a few more pounds in the bank.

Steriod injection in the shoulder followed by physio, but at my age I have to expect a few aches and pains.

Fitter than last year, only 2 minutes behind Wiggo on the rower, at 62 and a short round bloke that cannot be bad.

Cycling, well put it this way I have not bought any new tyres.

An relatively eye watering cycling distance for me this year, I’m starting to feel it now, lots of new projects started, both at home and at work. I’ve been so busy this year, it’s flown by, and I’ve still got a couple of mad busy weeks to come. I’m going to have to work out how to be in 2 places simultaneously for next year.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Every extra year that I can put between me and my major health problems of 2012/2013 is something for which I am suitably grateful! And it isn't just a case of being alive - actually being able to get adequate oxygen into my blood is something that I will never take for granted again.

As usual, I have done some great bike rides with my CycleChat riding partners.

I won't go into the depressing and stressful stuff which still dogs me. I will just have to try to cope better with it next year.

Compared to a lot of you I have had it very easy so I won't complain.

If you had a good year, I wish you more of the same in 2018. If you didn't, let's hope for better things, eh?

Top Bottom