How has your year been?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I note that the phrase "it's been a wonderful year" is not reciprocated :tongue:
She doesn’t want to big me up too much....

D

Deleted member 1258

Bad beginning and end but OK in the middle about sums up the year. My recovery from my November 2016 heart attack was set back in the new year by a very serious bout of the lurgy which took several weeks to recover from, I was three weeks into the year before I did my first bike ride. It was my first full year on a pension so getting used to a reduced income was part of the year. Unfortunately my Good Lady became unwell at the end of October, a repeat of an old problem we thought we had under control with tablets, the last couple of months have been an emotional roller coaster as we've coped with it, we've had to change tablet dosage and are having to wait for it to kick in fully.

alicat

Legendary Member
A very good year on the whole.

On the plus side ....

I have been working in France since April, coming home at weekends. Enjoying the adventure and improving my French.

I have decluttered the house with the help of a decluttering angel called Sue. I can have visitors without notice - it's fab.

I now have a cleaner. She is permanently on the transfer list because she likes moving things more than cleaning. However for the first time I am treating myself and enjoying my weekends at home and it feels good.

In Sept I came off my bike dodging an oncoming Transit van and badly gashed my elbow. Six trips to the minor injuries unit. Could have been a lot worse.

For the first time in my life I have spent a whole year being grateful to be alive and appreciating the little pleasures in my life.

On the negative side ...

None of my family have responded to my invitation to come to me for Christmas nor even care what I will do if they don't come to me. Fortunately I have some good friends who do care.

Tin Pot

Guru
I'll start ... it's been the most awful year of my life, but is finishing on 2 highs...

1) Daughter injured for life in terrible accident.
2) Separated from Mrs Fnaar after nearly 30 years together.
3) Genuinely moved to private tears by the support I got on here, in private messages and in sponsorship for the 100-mile ride I did in summer to raise money for a charity connected with the cause of daughter's accident. (raised over £3,000, much of it from CC'ers)
4) All my kids now at uni ... lovely to see them happy and independent (incl the daughter who had accident ... now back studying to finish her degree)
5) Have met someone new ... all going (very) well ... yum yum
6) Am editing a book for one of my fave musicians

Pffft!

Think your life is bad? I had to renegogiate my mortgage this year.

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
I was suspended from work in August. Before the suspension I was taken down the 'capability' route. The suspension happened before that was complete. I believe everything's unfounded and I'm being targeted as a scapegoat for the failings (due to recruitment difficulties) of the service I manage. It's tearing me (and my wife) up mentally - Think that counts as a sh1t year.

Edit - On a positive note, I completed the Dirty User9609 and I'm about 220 km cycling from my 5,000 km goal for the year so cycling wise not the worse of years.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I was suspended from work in August. Before the suspension I was taken down the 'capability' route. The suspension happened before that was complete. I believe everything's unfounded and I'm being targeted as a scapegoat for the failings (due to recruitment difficulties) of the service I manage. It's tearing me (and my wife) up mentally - Think that counts as a sh1t year..

Not great: I'm presuming you're getting legal/union advice and hope it's resolved. If you aren't ... do so and keep every piece of documentation and communication. A Freedom of Information request helps there :okay:

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I was suspended from work in August. Before the suspension I was taken down the 'capability' route. The suspension happened before that was complete. I believe everything's unfounded and I'm being targeted as a scapegoat for the failings (due to recruitment difficulties) of the service I manage. It's tearing me (and my wife) up mentally - Think that counts as a sh1t year.

That sounds difficult. I've had time off work with depression recently, and received an email today threatening the 'capability' thing. I work in academia, and my books have sold more than 20,000 copies. The farkers.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
That sounds difficult. I've had time off work with depression recently, and received an email today threatening the 'capability' thing. I work in academia, and my books have sold more than 20,000 copies. The farkers.
I get there has to be a process in place but for illnesses like depression taking a route like that must just make things worse.

I hope they are offering support at the same time.

@wicker man that sounds awful. I hope it's resolved soon and that you are being well represented by your union.

Lullabelle

Banana
With TVC running the cycling club we have both made new friends :thumbsup:

We have 2 new family members that I am looking forward to meeting over the next couple of weeks.

Last February I developed flu which completely floored me and took many months to shift. No flu this year :okay:

Down side? I have lost my mojo for exercise so carrying more meat than I would like but I have 2 reasons to shift the pounds for next year just need to get up off my bum and do it!

byegad

Legendary Member
Lady Byegad and I have had a mixed year.

I spent 8 months coughing and wheezing, was investigated for cancer, which came out well as I'm clear, and eventually cured of the ruddy cough by some huge antibiotics, but only after they grew the bug for 10 weeks so they could identify the drug that would kill it!

Lady Byegad had a cancer scare too, thankfully all clear and nothing to worry about.

We managed a week away, shortly after I got rid of the cough and before Lady Byegad's scare, but my annual mileage, usually 2-3000 miles is at 2-300! I missed Bike Rite Longridge, due to the bloody cough, York Rally, ditto. Also we didn't get our usual long weekend breaks for similar reasons.
You will easily imagine, we're hoping for a less eventful 2018.

I hope you all have a great Xmas, and a very happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
I'll start ... it's been the most awful year of my life, but is finishing on 2 highs...

1) Daughter injured for life in terrible accident.
2) Separated from Mrs Fnaar after nearly 30 years together.
3) Genuinely moved to private tears by the support I got on here, in private messages and in sponsorship for the 100-mile ride I did in summer to raise money for a charity connected with the cause of daughter's accident. (raised over £3,000, much of it from CC'ers)
4) All my kids now at uni ... lovely to see them happy and independent (incl the daughter who had accident ... now back studying to finish her degree)
5) Have met someone new ... all going (very) well ... yum yum
6) Am editing a book for one of my fave musicians
Chapeau! to you Sir for keeping going through such tough times and ending the year on a much happier note.:hugs::notworthy:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
The first part of the year I was under investigation with chest pains that's been sorted – keep taking the tablets :smile:
October 27 – my long lost daughter stabbed me in the back, not literally, then went on to publicly humiliate me on an open forum in front of all her friends, and then refused to pay back £360 that I lent her. - I now don't have a daughter.:angry:

Top Bottom