How has your year been?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5096898, member: 9609"]how long is it since you broke your leg ? it must have been one nasty break[/QUOTE]
Just over 4 yrs since I snapped it into 3 pieces. Trouble was it didn't heal so after 8-9 months they removed the original pin (Intramedullary Nail) drilled the inside of the bone out and fitted a bigger one. After the 1st op I was 'Non Loadbearing' on that leg for a month then 'Partial Loadbearing' up until X-rays showed it wasn't healing, after the 2nd op I was allowed to walk on it immediately.

The Consultant did say to me it was a very 'nasty' break though and I'd reckon he has seen hundreds (if not thousands) of em.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Carp end to an otherwise good year - we’ve been sick as dogs with the lurgy for the whole of the festive holidays. :-)
Still, I’ll be well enough to return to work on Tuesday :-((((

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I thought I had a terrible year and getting worse until I read some other people’s problems. I am still alive but little incentive to remain so. Still not got over the death of my wife 2 years ago and my eldest son died in August. His financial affairs are complicated and from his pensions I ended up with quite a lot of money as well as a house. I have passed this on to my other son and given them some of the money meantime. They will get the rest sooner or later. All sorts of relatively minor health issues but cycling has been a problem due to the terrible summer weather. My main summer tour was cancelled due to an intestinal bleed which inhibits me from going too far away from the umbrella of our NHS. Very alone but in comparison to some others I suppose I am not too badly off in emotional terms.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's been a mixed year for me.

I split from Mrs Ian earlier this year after 21 years together and that was very painful, especially with a 7yo child involved, but it seemed to go amicably on both sides, so far. There is still a lot to sort out though, bought house to be sold etc.

However, on a forum ride I did meet another CC member who I fell madly in love with, and somewhat foolishly she felt the same about me. I moved into her place in November. So on a personal level I am more happy now then I have been in many years.
The only thing that really hurts is not seeing Little H every day, that's painful. So every weekend he does spend with me I make sure we have a great time together, something that we never did previously.

Work has been one of the toughest I can ever remember for the music industry, a classic case of keeping one's nose above water and swimming against the tide. I'm preparing for 2018 to be even tougher.

Cycling wise. It has been a fantastic year with some memorable rides and trips. Plenty of Imperial Centuries including another year of the Imperial Century Challenge completed. A ride from Geneva, through France to home over a week was the highlight. FNRttC, Brussels to Dunkirk was another.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It's been a blah year, a middle aged waste of one, laying about, boozing, not cycling enough, I think my biggest achievement was varnishing the back door.
Mine has been a bit like that. Just busy living with no real achievements or failures. Just staying above water is achievement at the moment. I have been operating on auto pilot and metaphorically taken the year off.
My Report card would read “should, could and must do better”

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Thanks for your good wishes. Much appreciated. On slightly off beat note. After my wife died I did remark that one memorable thing was the number of women hanging round my neck every time I walked down the street,even case hardened nurses. Downside was that my collar was constantly soaked as they sobbed into my collar.

Top Bottom