How has your year been?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Pretty crappy year actually:

Started year rehabbing from ACL reconstruction

January D1 emigrated to Canada, D2 went off to France for a ski season

February, D2 snapped her ACL, wife broke toe very badly

April, I developed unprovoked DVT in thigh.

August/September great holiday in Canada

September to December, chest infection not responding to antibiotics. Walk around the block limit of physical exercise.

December, diagnosed with Empyema (pocket of infected puss between lung and chest wall) Several months of heavy duty antibiotics with surgery a possibility...

December D2 announces she too wants to move to Canada.

Katherine

Guru
The first part of the year I was under investigation with chest pains that's been sorted – keep taking the tablets :smile:
October 27 – my long lost daughter stabbed me in the back, not literally, then went on to publicly humiliate me on an open forum in front of all her friends, and then refused to pay back £360 that I lent her. - I now don't have a daughter.:angry:
Oh no, I'm really sorry to hear that. :sad: I hope over time you will be able to repair that relationship.

A better year than 2016, that's for sure.

Mrs S had (successful) treatment for breast cancer in 2016, but there was a lot of time spent in hospitals and clinics.

For 2017, she got the more or less all clear. Of course there will be ongoing checkups, but we both feel much more positive about the way ahead.

In 2017 my former employer kindly offered to start my occupational pension, which I thought would not begin for another couple of years, so I gave up work and have now settled into a life of retirement. Mrs S then gave up her lunchtime job at a school at the end of summer term, so we are able to enjoy lots of time together.

We do plenty of volunteering - we belong to a very active charity ukulele band, and have started helping a friend teach ukulele classes at the primary school where she works. A huge learning curve to try and find ways to teach little fingers how to play simple songs, but hugely enjoyable when they finally " get it".

Our daughter remains happy and gainfully employed, combining doing as little work as possible with travelling to as many places as possible. Good for her!

postman

Legendary Member
I was suspended from work in August. Before the suspension I was taken down the 'capability' route. The suspension happened before that was complete. I believe everything's unfounded and I'm being targeted as a scapegoat for the failings (due to recruitment difficulties) of the service I manage. It's tearing me (and my wife) up mentally - Think that counts as a sh1t year.

Edit - On a positive note, I completed the Dirty User9609 and I'm about 220 km cycling from my 5,000 km goal for the year so cycling wise not the worse of years.

Try to keep strong and positive,all the best for 2018.

Sandra6

Veteran
I've had a normal year. And I'm happy with that. It's been a damn sight better than the previous one.
I've received amazing support from people on here, had two new job opportunities open up to me, am now on a completely different career path than I would have imagined and I'm generally just enjoying being me.
It's not all sunshine and roses, but that's life, atleast it's not all doom and gloom as it once felt.
For those still in their dark place, it will get better, just give yourself time.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Chapeau to all of you - lots of resilience and stoicism and positive thinking going on here (as well as bad luck). You lot are an inspiration! All the best for a better 2018!

Me...
Best ever year for cycling - which doesn't mean much compared to most - but I managed to work my way up to my first century.
Bought a new bike - Giant Toughroad for some flat-bar adventuring.
Did 20+ gigs, most of which were good.
Had book # 6 published and finished the first draft of # 7 (unlike Fnaar's these don't sell 20000 copies, but they do meet my need to write)
Work continues to be tough, with a lot of pressure, stress, a long commute, and not much time for anything else in life.
Less money in the bank at the end of the year, but more in the pension fund.
No holidays, but a couple of nice weekends away (Dublin, Brighton, and Manchester)
Family all well, dog has a few less teeth.

But generally, a normal kind of year, with nothing majorly positive or negative to report.

Derek

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It has been quite a peaceful year here and at least my leg hasn't got worse so the 3rd lot of surgery has been put off.
2 new Great Grandchildren.
Finally managed to get 'Fluffy' to allow us to stroke him (he's been coming into the house for food most of the year but hissing at us)

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Strange year for me.
I moved from Cornwall as, being on a carers a.lowance, I could barely afford to eat and had a part time job to help with that. Weight dropped to 9st and at 5’7”, that’s not good. Asthma returned so got put on steroids which fattened me up no end. Stopped taking them.
Had house move fall through in March but then a better one turned up, closer to Hubsters family, so we went for it and got it.
Moved to this house, the previous tenants made my life hell for a fortnight with texts, emails, social media posts, pizza deliveries and taxis. Stupid people. Hubsters got more ill and I got less help as he wouldn’t let anyone help. He was barely speaking to me because it was the kidney that I donated to him that ‘failed’ and made him iller (maybe he should have looked after it)
Suddenly, I can bear it no longer. He said that I wasn’t attractive or thin enough for him and moved out.

Signed on for universal credit (what larks) got it, found a short term job, found a better short term job then a permanent job at BT. Pay is rubbish for the first year but it gives me a new career path at the age of 53.
In June, I met @BottomCrank, who got a CC account to message me, I have since found out. We cycled a lot, laughed a lot, ate a lot of cheese. It appears we are a couple now. We just seemed to click and have been letting things progress at a cautious pace. It’s all good.

Financially, I am struggling by but have no overdraft, loans or credit cards. I own everything that I own, if that makes sense and I bought a new bike this year too, @biggs682 gave me the heads up about it. I barely ride the carbon bike since I have had it. The steel bike was the one that I rode home to Norwich on. I shall do that again next year.

Cycling wise, I need 7.88 miles to hit 4039 miles, or 6500km. I will ride later.
Life is looking up so I am happy.

mustang1

Guru
Blxxdy heck fnaar, I had no idea. Very sorry to hear.

My year was alright. I thought it was full of really long hours at work and other such rubbish but pales into dumb insignificant stuff.

Tin Pot

Guru
Well it’s been a mixed bag.

- my sons anxiety attacks have got worse, and his foot problem hasn’t improved, I think our relationship has deteriorated
-/+ 6 months without work/on holiday
-/+ my son narrowly avoided a Minecraft based cyber campaign designed to encourage him to self harm, possibly worse
+ completed three Ironman events
+ daughter in local panto
And crowning glory,

+ the birth of our third child :smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Saluki i try and share the finds that are not local enough for me to pick up when i think they are worth sharing , glad to hear you are still enjoying it .

Its been a strange year for me loads of different reasons , had some great family time , survived another year at work which is good , my other half has had a few up's and downs but we enjoy what we can and put up with the other times .

All in all i aint complaining .

gaz71

Über Member
2017 was quite a good year for me

I cycled over 4000 miles,2470 was my previous best

I lost around 2st in weight,it should have been more but my ill discipline at weekends with nibbles and booze has been a bit of a downfall

Got a new bike

Went to more gigs than i ever have (16 of them)

Finally got taken on full time at work as opposed to being a temp

Roll on 2018

Top Bottom