How high is your saddle compared to your bars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It’s where the fancy pants computer bike fitting thing said it should be. And, to be fair, it’s spot on.

Does a bike fit take into account problems the rider might have with their back/neck, or does it just go on their body dimensions?

At 72 and 5'8" I have problems with my neck due to fused vertebrae. Would a bike fitting treat me the same as a fit 5'8" 30 year old of the same body shape?

Does a bike fit take into account problems the rider might have with their back/neck, or does it just go on their body dimensions?

At 72 and 5'8" I have problems with my neck due to fused vertebrae. Would a bike fitting treat me the same as a fit 5'8" 30 year old of the same body shape?
The fancy one I had used ‘golf balls’ and CGI, so it analyses your full body dynamics.

I win.

phantom.jpg

Or do I lose? I'm not sure.

vickster

Legendary Member

Yes it should to the first Q unless the fitter is clueless and has no understanding of anatomy and biomechanics
No to the second Q, unless the fitter is clueless and has no understanding of anatomy and biomechanics

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I have my bars as high as possible as after 25/35 miles my neck starts to sieze up (its age).
On Saturday my ride took me to Arley Hall where I got talking to a guy that was maybe 6' 2"......maybe more.
He was on a Giant TCR and his saddle must have been 10" higher than his bars. I had to comment on it and his answer was "It was one inch less till my bike fit yesterday and they raised it".
I am no expert but it just looked wrong.
My thought was, surely he needs a bigger frame.

When I bought my Giant, I tried an "M" and it was a perfect fit.
Despite this the salesperson then asked if I "liked a lot of seat post showing like the pros" because then I'd need an "S".

Milzy

Guru
It’s partly the aggressive geometry of the TCR & he will be flexible so fine in an aggressive position with his head out of the wind. Which is how you ride the Giant TCR really, it’s not a sit up & beg shopping bike.

My bar is about an inch or 2 below the saddle. But I'm still tinkering with the position...over a year after getting it :laugh:
The best approach in most cases I think. Just feel the bike, make small adjustments. By this process, pretty much all my bikes ended up the same. That surely can't be coincidence? I did have a bike fit (refunded against the purchase of the bike) and it never felt right. Now shifted that bike to the same as my others and all is well. For my flat bar style of riding, 1 to 2 inches between saddle and bars is right I think, and for most other folk. And saddle more or less level.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
When I bought my Giant, I tried an "M" and it was a perfect fit.
Despite this the salesperson then asked if I "liked a lot of seat post showing like the pros" because then I'd need an "S".
Both ny bikes are S. The seat post on the hardtail is quite extended but I have one of those flexible stem thingies to lift the bar that bit extra.

Top Bottom