How high is your saddle compared to your bars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Also a possibility - for reference mine looks like the below - although the aerobars have been removed now.

Edit to add: that's a 400mm seatpost with about 350mm showing.

View attachment 473455
Pah only a 400mm seatpost,

DSCN0209.JPG

I had a 600mm one made for this bike, that's as low as it will go.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
600mm seat post anyone:laugh:

Mine are all set up for pedal performance, but at 5'8 they tend to be about level.

Must be a height thing as the 6+ footers need the seat height, frames dont seem to grow in proportion.

Bit like buying clothes, why does a size 42 jacket maker assume its for 6 foot tall people and a 32 waist gets 33 leg??
:banghead:
Yep, see post #16

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Are you sure that it didn't just look that way because of a sloping top tube?

Here are two of my bikes, which have the same riding position. (The singlespeed now has some of the spacers moved to above the stem so the bars are 1.5 cms lower.)

View attachment 473452

View attachment 473453
No, although I take your point......I have almost the same bike, mine is Defy his was TCR. My mate who was with me felt the same......he is 5'10" and also rides Giant.

ukbabz

Über Member
11cm (4.3inc) according to last bike fit if i'm reading the retul report properly. Will have a measure when i go out tonight, but seems about right on my TCR.

D

Deleted member 1258

Bars a couple of inches below the saddle, I have the bars a little higher now than I used too, I raised them a touch last year to ease my back.

20180913_142808.jpg

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I have my bars as high as possible as after 25/35 miles my neck starts to sieze up (its age).
On Saturday my ride took me to Arley Hall where I got talking to a guy that was maybe 6' 2"......maybe more.
He was on a Giant TCR and his saddle must have been 10" higher than his bars. I had to comment on it and his answer was "It was one inch less till my bike fit yesterday and they raised it".
I am no expert but it just looked wrong.
My thought was, surely he needs a bigger frame.
Why did you have to comment on it? What did you know over and above what he did about his own bike? I'm 6ft3 and ride a 54CM top tube frame, please use these two pieces of info to explain how I would need a bigger frame and the logic leading to the conclusion.

Thanks

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Why did you have to comment on it? What did you know over and above what he did about his own bike? I'm 6ft3 and ride a 54CM top tube frame, please use these two pieces of info to explain how I would need a bigger frame and the logic leading to the conclusion.

Thanks
Why do I have to explain anything to you?
I was interested and we enjoyed a pleasant conversation about Giant bike and bike fits in general.
I hope that is acceptable to you.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My stem is well slammed. It's so low the drop of my bars scrape the ground.

Actually I'm not sure. I think it's a smidge below the saddle or about level.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Does a seatpost that long with just 50mm in the tube cause potential stress problems at the top of the tube?
I asked myself that question. I am 5'6" and my Giant hardtail is a small. The seatpost has a line that tells me its at its max

Bars lower than saddle I generally keep it to an absolute max of 2 inches. I ride straight bars with bar ends and usually cruise on the bar ends which are of course back up higher than the bars towards the saddle.

I do sometimes see flat barred bikes with bars way way below the seat - usually in urban supposedly trendyville. Looks plain wrong and uncomfortable bordering on dangerous to me - their bike, their body. Perhaps someone told them they had a nice arse at at impressionable age and they feel an urge to display it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom