How i educated a motorist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alun

Guru
AKB...Being an EX police officer, why should I need to know that road tax was abolished?

Have a guess where I have lived for the past 16 years? :rolleyes:

I really do not keep tabs on the laws of the land over there.

Steve
Just you get on with that sailcloth bike bag, I might be wanting one soon ^_^

Alun

Guru
It's still has it's orginal purpose. To see if a motorised vehicle is licensed to use the roads. It has had that purpose in the UK since 1920.
Not really used for that any more! It is, like most other things, on a database. ^_^

Sara_H

Guru
AKB...Being an EX police officer, why should I need to know that road tax was abolished?

Have a guess where I have lived for the past 16 years? :rolleyes:

I really do not keep tabs on the laws of the land over there.

Steve
LOL. Are you still digging that hole?

Road Tax was abolished in 1937, when exactly did you become an EX police officer?

Nosaj

Yep. Together with certain other debate a quote from Churchill (courtesy of I pay road tax.com)

Churchill’s opposition to the Road Fund was largely financial but not exclusively so. Fearing motorists would lay claim to roads by dint of paying for a small portion of their repair, he wrote:
“It will be only a step from this for [motorists] to claim in a few years the moral ownership of the roads their contributions have created.”

Seems he was a mystic as well as politician...​

Reactions: gaz

Alun

Guru
It is still a valuable tool for police officers to quickly see if some numpty hasn't renewed their VED.
It doesn't show that though, it just shows if they are displaying a current vehicle tax disc.
I think a traffic officer is far more likely to run the reg no. through the system and check the tax, test, insurance, whether reported stolen and probably a few other things at the same time
In fact with ANPR it could be done automatically whilst the car is still being driven.
The tax disc has had it's day!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It doesn't show that though, it just shows if they are displaying a current vehicle tax disc.
I think a traffic officer is far more likely to run the reg no. through the system and check the tax, test, insurance, whether reported stolen and probably a few other things at the same time
In fact with ANPR it could be done automatically whilst the car is still being driven.
The tax disc has had it's day!
come on. read my post. It shows exactly what I said.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Yes, I read it !
Yeah.. so then you know that what I said was right. the discs are different colours each year. So you can easily spot if someone hasn't renewed.
Obviously there are some who buy them for 3 month periods and then don't buy another to try and get away with it. But you can still look at the disc and see when the vehicle is covered and you can of course use the database if it is available to you.

Note that some people, such as traffic wardens, will not have access to the database, but they can still actively look at illegally parked cars to see if they should be on the road. If they shouldn't then the car can be picked up and crushed.

Alun

Guru
Sorry Gaz, you seemed to have missed a subtle, but important point!
Although an up to date disc is evidence that the tax has been paid, an out of date disc, or even no disc at all in a windscreen is not evidence that a car is not taxed. As a car has to be either taxed or SORNed, the DVLA will know the position without even seeing the car. It is probably still an offence not to display a current disc, but not something that they remove or crush cars for!

Top Bottom