How I Got Into This

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Arch said:
When I look back I guess I do have a pretty varied background. The down side being I'm still not quite sure what I want to do 'when I grow up'. And at 38, you'd think I would...:blush:

Don't say that...I'm 33 and was hoping to possibly figure it out by 35!!! Although that only gives me just over a year, so maybe it's wishful thinking :smile:

Joe

Über Member
I got into cycling by complete chance. I rode to school and back as a kid and did the odd charity ride but since then nothing...until last year.
I would always walk home from my mates house late at night (it was about an hours walk). Then one night he offered me his piece of shoot mountain bike to ride home on. I had the most fun:biggrin: Didn't give it back for a few months until I could afford a proper bike. Which became my only mode of transport!
Then this year I got myself a road bike, a stack of lycra and came to prefer long hours on the bike to going to the pub with my mates:blush:
I'm so happy to have "discovered" it at a relatively young age (I'm 23) :blush:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I got my first bike when I was 13, a jet black sit-up-and-beg after months of nagging my old man who was wary of bikes that had these new fangled cable brakes. He wanted to get me one with rod brakes as he thought they were safer, God knows what he would have said about ten-speed Ergos and carbon fibre!

I was hooked from the off, soon changed to a road bike and when I started work at 15 the chargehand was a club cyclist and introduced me to my local club which I joined. 40 years on and despite a break or two when life got in the way I am still at it.

I remember the precise moment I learned to ride on two wheels having recently destroyed my Pashley pickle tricycle. I was given a 'nice' bike for my 14th birthday, a second hand Raleigh Flyer. Because I was so completely crap at sport of any kind I managed to persuade the head teacher to let me start a cycling club at school. There were three of us and we would go for rides when everyone else was playing footy or cricket. Heaven!. Rode from Welshpool to Carlisle one one occasion. Epic!
I was always really into cars and assumed like many people that I would graduate from cycling when I passed my test, however when I moved to London in 83 to attend art collage it was clear, even then, that there were too many cars on the road. I started walking to college as the buses and tube were slower, graduated to a skateboard so the natural thing was to rekindle my interest in cycling. Bought a 2nd hand Rory O', rode it into the ground and a year later blew my grant on a brand new Claude Butler Dalesman and a set of panniers.

Got into HPV racing and mountainbiking and to this day consider myself first and foremost a mountainbiker rather than a cyclist. Didnt do very well at collage so got a job in a bike shop as a mechanic and thats where Ive stayed aside from a brief foray into plumbing. Ive had sooo many bikes over the years, several road bikes, recumbents, Moultons old and new, Bromptons, tandems, cruisers, choppers, roadsters, butchers and bakers, and various trailers. I should try and write them all down sometime. But mountainbikes. Ive had more than sixty mountainbikes.

Buy 'em (at trade) ride 'em, do 'em up a bit, sell 'em for more than I paid for 'em.
Buy another. Constantly upgrading. Its why bike shop staff who earn a pittance ride really posh bikes. Started riding mountain bikes in 84 on a second-hand privately-imported french Ammoco.
Original Rockhopper.
Original Saracen Conquest. (got nicked)
Ritchey. (got nicked)
Stumpjumper.
Ridgeback 531.
Rockhopper Comp. (got nicked)
Overburys Pioneer.
Assorted Cannondales.
Carrera (! won it at a race!)
Kuwahara.
Bridgestone.
Rockhopper Pro.
Trek 930 with XC Pro all over it.
KHS.
Sonic.
Klien.
ProFlex.
Rocky Mountain Altitude. (nicked)
Kona Explosif.
Pace.
Giant ATX.
Rocky Mountain Vertex Team Scandium.

Having said that, I have had my current bike for three years and its a gem.

Plus a load of bikes I bought, rode for a bit and sold but never really considered them my #1 ride.

biggash

Arch said:
Excellent! "Top Gear Presenter Inspires Cyclist"

Mind you, if I thought the end result was getting Richard Hammond, I'd happily cycle over the Alps!:smile:

Nice to see a couple of new folk here. Biggash, there's a chap called magnatom on here, hangs out in Communting a lot, who's done something to address the issue of glasgow buses

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5075

Press release on page three of the thread explains it...

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5075&page=3

- will be interesting to see if it makes a difference...

As ever, I'd recommend a copy of Cyclecraft to all new riders...

Cheers for That Arch :blush:

cyclebum

Arch said:
Excellent! "Top Gear Presenter Inspires Cyclist"

Did you see Top Gear last night, looks like he did it again!!! (was it me or was his left leg a bit bandy?)

Arch

Married to Night Train
cyclebum said:
Did you see Top Gear last night, looks like he did it again!!! (was it me or was his left leg a bit bandy?)

Hang on, it was on last night? Rats. I sat through the repeat of the Cenotaph, and then at 8 it was Coast instead, and they said Long Way Down was after that, so I turned over and watched something else.

Oh, Coast wasn't one of those silly 10 minute ones was it?

I'll have to catch the repeat. This is what comes of not getting a TV listing...

cyclebum

I wont spoil it for you if you are going to catch the repeat, but it's worth seeing Richard Hammond in a pair of shorts cycling across London in the rush hour :blush:. Long way down was good though, they came across a cyclist in the middle of nowhere in Africa, off road, struggling with their motortbikes,meanwhile this cyclist was pulling a long trailer, on his way round the world the very long way round by the sound of it. Mind you he looked like he could do with a good meal!

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Arch said:
Hang on, it was on last night? Rats. I sat through the repeat of the Cenotaph, and then at 8 it was Coast instead, and they said Long Way Down was after that, so I turned over and watched something else.

Oh, Coast wasn't one of those silly 10 minute ones was it?

I'll have to catch the repeat. This is what comes of not getting a TV listing...
Arch, BBC 2, 7pm, Wednesday, I'll be watching it again !

(Coast was one of the silly 10 minute ones, I heard the announcement as well, missed out TG, had to put Ceefax on to make sure).

Arch

Married to Night Train
cyclebum said:
Richard Hammond in a pair of shorts!

Sold! to the lady in York...

Grrr, yeah, Elmer, I thought I heard right, they never mentioned TG.

Will make a note about Wednesday...

Top Bottom