How I Got Into This

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I fell off a motorbike at around 150mph (I was racing at Cadwell Park) and starting cycling to get over my injuries.

12 years later I run a large community cycling organisation and have more bikes than I can count. Plus 7 motorbikes:blush:

I fell off a motorbike at around 150mph (I was racing at Cadwell Park) and starting cycling to get over my injuries.

12 years later I run a large community cycling organisation and have more bikes than I can count. Plus 7 motorbikes:blush:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger said:

I have to say, at 150mph, I kinda feel the term 'fell off' is inadequate - it implies you just slipped off the saddle, like when the girth isn't tight on a horse...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger said:

I have to say, at 150mph, I kinda feel the term 'fell off' is inadequate - it implies you just slipped off the saddle, like when the girth isn't tight on a horse...

OK.

It was half way through a 25 lap race and I was pushing hard to make up for a bad start. I was on a big 1100 Suzuki and felt that a podium was in order – had I made a better start I think I could have won it.

At the end of the bottom straight the track turns gently left and begins to go uphill steeply and you can really attack the corner – it’s a great feeling when you get it perfectly right. On a big bike like the one I was riding you don’t brake for the corner, but just sit up, change down a gear and throw the bike in.

On this lap I did just that but for some reason the back wheel lost grip and the next thing I know the bike is sliding sideways. And then the inevitable happened, both tyres suddenly gripped and I was fired upwards in what is called a high side. Imagine being fired from a trebuchet the effect is the same.

I landed on the grass and slid towards the ambulance and can’t remember much after that.

The bike was literally swept off the track.

OK.

It was half way through a 25 lap race and I was pushing hard to make up for a bad start. I was on a big 1100 Suzuki and felt that a podium was in order – had I made a better start I think I could have won it.

At the end of the bottom straight the track turns gently left and begins to go uphill steeply and you can really attack the corner – it’s a great feeling when you get it perfectly right. On a big bike like the one I was riding you don’t brake for the corner, but just sit up, change down a gear and throw the bike in.

On this lap I did just that but for some reason the back wheel lost grip and the next thing I know the bike is sliding sideways. And then the inevitable happened, both tyres suddenly gripped and I was fired upwards in what is called a high side. Imagine being fired from a trebuchet the effect is the same.

I landed on the grass and slid towards the ambulance and can’t remember much after that.

The bike was literally swept off the track.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger said:

Yeah, that conveys the situation better...;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger said:

Yeah, that conveys the situation better...;)

I thought my thread had turned into a Hammond gay fest but then I noticed Arch was a girl so it changed it a fair bit.
So then my mind jumps (car Girl) to the new Vauxhall advert for the Astra or whatever it is (they all look the same), with girl in shorts and life is good again.
So to a question, I see lots of fit girls in spinning classes but never see them out on the road - why?

Over The Hill said:
I thought my thread had turned into a Hammond gay fest but then I noticed Arch was a girl so it changed it a fair bit.
So then my mind jumps (car Girl) to the new Vauxhall advert for the Astra or whatever it is (they all look the same), with girl in shorts and life is good again.
So to a question, I see lots of fit girls in spinning classes but never see them out on the road - why?

Ever noticed that the Gyms car park is full of Corsas?

bonj2

mickle said:
Ever noticed that the Gyms car park is full of Corsas?

Ever noticed that that car that follows you for half a mile before eventually overtaking turns out to be a ford ka? :smile: xx( I have, twice ;):biggrin:

cyclebum

Over The Hill said:

Excuse me, I do xbiking (like spinning but harder ;)) and I was there only this morning, but I've been out on the road 3 times this week as well. Infact yesturday I cycled to the gym to xbike and then cycled back home again, uphill:biggrin::biggrin:

cyclebum

Over The Hill said:

Sorry just read it properly, maybe I'm not quite as fit in the way you are meaning, though I did get a woolf whislte the other day as I cycled past a young 'hoodie', mind you if he had seen me properly without my helmet and shades he may have felt differently.;)

But thinking about it when it comes to the xbikeing, where are all the scantily fit blokes? xx(

cyclebum said:
But thinking about it when it comes to the xbikeing, where are all the scantily fit blokes? xx(

I'm about to embark on a month-long intensive spinning session (6x2 sessions a week - well, it's intensive for me) but I will be dressed accordingly and appropriately. I can rely upon the females to be less conservative, though! ;)

cyclebum

I'm sure you'll find the odd scantily clad female, but if it's anything like the classes I go to, it's dark except those uv lights (the ones that show up light colours?) and you'd be concentrating so much on just trying to keep the pace that you won't have the chance to keep an eye on them anyway.;);)
I've come out of one of those classes where there will be the odd woman with perfect hair and make up as if they had just gone in! Me I usaually look like I've just been dragged through a hedge (and then a shower) backwards!
They reckon in our xbike class you can burn between 5-600 cals in 1/2 hour if that gives you some idea.

Top Bottom