How long are your rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Reading the posts from you lovely people, I noticed that most of you do regular rides of 40 miles plus and it is giving me a bit of a complex as the majority of my rides are under 30 miles. I have the time to do longer rides but after a while, I feel it is time to head back home and I do. It always happens within 2 hours of riding.
When I go over 30 miles , it is when I set my mind to go to a specific place which I know will take me past that mark but it isn't often.
When you set off, do you know in advance where you are going to go and how long you are going for?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Some days I can be like you, get a couple of hours in and then feel I've had enough. I'm fortunate to have a lot of little roads that criss-cross and join up so I can usually just decide when I get to the next junction whether to head back or keep going.

I've been averaging around 30 miles for rides lately with a few over 40 but sometimes get a bit fed up staying out too long. Sometimes I plan my rides, often with wind direction in mind......other days I just set out and make it up as I go along.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I cycle for pleasure and do lots of 20 to 30 mile loops. They feel good to me.

Pre Covid I enjoyed the occasional 60 mile loop, making a day of it. Cafes, photos, popping into churches.

My favourite, though, was catching the train to Exeter, Bristol or Castle Cary, and gently cycling homeward along unfamiliar lanes. About 40 to 60 miles.

D

Deleted member 26715

Out of 326 rides my Eddington is 27, I do a lot more shorter than longer rides, but mine are MTB

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I generally will ride for maybe 2 hours on my own, mostly about an hour and a quarter (regular route I've been using during lunch breaks whilst WFH. If with friends then quite a few hours.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
My favourite, though, was catching the train to Exeter, Bristol or Castle Cary, and gently cycling homeward along unfamiliar lanes. About 40 to 60 miles.
That's the sort of thing I would prefer to do rather than doing a loop. Riding from a to b would be more pleasurable to me than doing A to B and back to A again. The problem is that the train network is not great round here so it would mean my wife dropping me off somewhere but she is not keen on driving to places she is not familiar with.

Baldy

Über Member
During the week when I'm working, I generally go out for a 15 miler, which I like to do in just under an hour. Weekend rides are mostly all day journeys, at a more relaxed pace. Mostly around 40 -60 miles although I did do a 100 miler last year, that was a very long day.

Twilkes

Guru
I'm shackled by a toddler at the moment, and was on pre-Covid weekends too, so max of 90 minutes, most are 'training' rides of 30-45 minutes where I'll push it or do some intervals.

And I used to commute 5 miles each way to work but currently WFH.

Previously I would take a day off work to ride from 8am to 5pm, usually 110ish miles, or a half day and 50 miles, that was only once a month though. I would plan a route to take in some proper hills and somewhere I'd never ridden before.

Currently training up my son so we can go on rides together, his max so far is 3½ miles at 3½mph average, but then he's only just turned three. :smile:

Sharky

Guru
Over the years, have done rides with club and solo up to 150 miles, but as I approach the autumn year's, I rarely do more than 30 and my most frequent loop is just under an hour. I find shorter rides allows me to recover and can do them on a regular basis in all 4 seasons. Also keeps me fit enough to normally ride the clubs evening 10 mile TT's each week. This year being an exception and have not been on the bike at all since lock down started.

Twilkes

Guru
What do you not understand? I presume ??? means you are confused over something, maybe if you actually asked the question I could help you.

The only Eddington number I'd heard of was the number of protons in the universe, seems there's a cycling Eddington number as well. TIL!

I assumed you had tried to type something else and it had autocorrected to 'Eddington'. :smile:

13 rider

Guru
The only Eddington number I'd heard of was the number of protons in the universe, seems there's a cycling Eddington number as well. TIL!

I assumed you had tried to type something else and it had autocorrected to 'Eddington'. :smile:
Cycling Eddington number is a think ,the number of times you have riden a certain distance . Mine is 74. ,so I have riden over 74 miles 74 times

Top Bottom