How long are your rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Depends on how i feel on the day, plus the weather, do a lot of 24 to 30 mile rides, but plenty of longer ones, riding in a group or with friends helps with the longer rides.

GetFatty

Über Member
I'm time limited so try to do around 25-30 miles a day

Slick

Guru
I used to do 40 to 50 mile rides before I bust my collar bone but since then I've lost a lot of muscle in my shoulders so I find about 2 hours or 25 to 30 miles my optimum now before it becomes an actual pain.

At the moment the mojo is low due to depression and I'm riding very little. Hard to believe I've done 60, 80 and 100 mile sportive events in the last few years.
I'm sorry to hear that, no advice, just sorry to hear that. :sad:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Before lockdown, apart from my commute, I was only doing 100+ miles rides at weekends. Since lockdown I am doing 30-40 mile rides. I'm still in the hunt for this years Imperial Century a Month Challenge and there was no way I wasnt going to stop as this year will be my 10th year in a row.
My fitness has suffered a lot since I'm not commuting day in day out, with the result of my recent 100 miler being tougher than usual even though it was a fairly flat route.
Roll on going back to work on a daily basis. I really miss my daily cycle commute, both physically and mentally.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
As of late. my laps have only been short hops of around 1hr. Id like to go a little longer but I lack the motivation. I just get some music on in one ear and turn my rides into interval/sprint training sessions.

lane

Veteran
Due to lockdown I am doing quite a few more rides but generally shorter than normal at this time of year. Overall mileage is up so not all bad. Typically 3 30km (18 to 20 miles) rides and one longer ride around 50 miles. Can't see me wanting to go over 60 miles until things are a lot more normal not the so called new normal.

Slick

Guru
Blimey everybody is cycling less.

I guess not having the target of a nice cafe or pub stop puts a dampener on it too.
I really miss my normal cafe stop. Doesn't seem the same somehow.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Blimey everybody is cycling less.

I guess not having the target of a nice cafe or pub stop puts a dampener on it too.
Indeed. However it's not only that. I usually do my longer rides with friends with a halfway stop at a cafe or pub. With not being able to cycle with friends it can make long rides a chore. Me not being one to enjoy solo cycling much as I get bored of my own company. ^_^

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I would normally be doing plenty of 100 km and 100 mile rides at this time of year but I am currently just doing 3 km rides to the shops and back (!) or 15-30 km rides (flattish ones on my singlespeed bike when I want to just get out of the house for an hour, or up and down the steep valley roads when I want more intense exercise).

I got very unfit over the winter. Surprisingly, even the mere 100-odd kms a week that I am now doing is starting to make a big difference. I'll probably start ramping it up soon to 30-50 kms and after a few weeks of those rides I will start doing metric centuries again, unless there is a catastrophic second wave of coronavirus.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Reading the posts from you lovely people, I noticed that most of you do regular rides of 40 miles plus and it is giving me a bit of a complex as the majority of my rides are under 30 miles. I have the time to do longer rides but after a while, I feel it is time to head back home and I do. It always happens within 2 hours of riding.
When I go over 30 miles , it is when I set my mind to go to a specific place which I know will take me past that mark but it isn't often.
When you set off, do you know in advance where you are going to go and how long you are going for?

Far and away my commonest ride length is 10 miles, my daily commute.

For leisure rides, it purely depends on time available. My favourite ride length is 50-100 miles, long enough to get away from other things and into cycling mode, and also long enough to feel a sense of achievement, but most rides are less.

On the rare occasions I've been over 100 miles, I've found it increasingly very draining and not much fun. How people enjoy long distance Audax is a mystery to me. And in the same way, why should it matter if your limit of enjoyment is 30 miles? Just do what you enjoy, no need to compare to others.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
On the rare occasions I've been over 100 miles, I've found it increasingly very draining and not much fun. How people enjoy long distance Audax is a mystery to me.
When I was doing one of my first few 200 km audax rides I got chatting to an experienced audax rider. I asked if he was enjoying his day out and he sighed, shook his head, and said that he was a bit bored! I asked if he found those rides too long. He replied that it was quite the opposite - what was the point of doing a mere 200 kms, which was clearly no challenge whatsoever to him. A '400', '600' or longer ride, now they were worth making the effort for! :wacko:

double_dd

Über Member
I have a 12 mile loop I use for a short spin after work or between longer rides. I like to do at least one 'big' ride per week which is anything from 50-70 miles depending on how much climbing there is or what I have planned in terms of a cafe stop etc

vickster

Legendary Member
Generally around 15-20 miles most days at the moment after work. Done a few 30 milers at weekend/day off

Top Bottom