How long are your rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I am a bimbler and tend to do just 13 to 20 miles depending on how I feel. I'm quite happy with that. I think just getting out there for an hour or two is more important to me than the distance I travel.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
I have been doing 10 to 20 miles lately, more 20's then 10's though, just cant get motivated at the moment, I have the opportunity due to not working (furloughed) however I have lost my mojo somewhat, where I would go off and explore some longer routes for a few hours I tend to stick to about an hour or so at the moment

Mark pallister

I usually do between 60 and 90 mls depends on which bike I use road or trail
i normally plan depending on wind direction ,I like to have it behind me on the way home if possible
other than that go where the mood takes me

D

Deleted member 26715

I assumed you had tried to type something else and it had autocorrected to 'Eddington'. :smile:
Ah no, I have ridden, well logged 326 rides, of which 27 have been over 27 miles, I need 1 more ride over 28 miles to get my Eddington number to 28, but need 5 more to get to 29 & 9 more to get to 30.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
When you set off, do you know in advance where you are going to go and how long you are going for?

Through a normal year my rides would vary between 30-100+. Generally I ride with a group of like-minded regirees. Yes we always know where we are going and the route out and back. The route wouldn't necessarily be a loop but at most we would only cover 15-20% of the roads twice - there is a limit to the number of ways in/out of our town.

Once we have met the ride will be around 55-65 which for me turns in to 67-77 ride as I have a 12 mile round trip to the meet point - as do most of us. We have some favourite rides which are 100+ and we will choose to do these on fine days. Someone will say "Wednesday looks good. Anyone fancy xyz?

That's the way it works for us. Most of the group ride 7500-10,000 a year.

During lockdown my rides have been significantly different. I've done 51 rides to date, all, 30-35 miles. It's proved, again, multiple short, intense rides are far better for building fitness and strength than 3 x 70 milers a week.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I mostly ride short 10-20 mile rides and sometimes as short as five miles, due to time constraints and work. But I think all exercise is good, so I get out when I can. When I was younger, I used to be able to ride 15 miles each day at lunch, and do some more miles after dinner.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
That's the sort of thing I would prefer to do rather than doing a loop. Riding from a to b would be more pleasurable to me than doing A to B and back to A again. The problem is that the train network is not great round here so it would mean my wife dropping me off somewhere but she is not keen on driving to places she is not familiar with.
The train journey ride is always fun. Do you need to do A to B and back to A? To me this sounds like out and back on the same route? Could you create small loops?

One aspect of lockdown I've enjoyed is it has forced me to join up roads I regularly ride in new ways. This effectively creates new routes.

D

Deleted member 1258

It depends on how much time I've got, most of my rides are in the morning and I usually get enough time for 50-60 miles, if I've got time I'll put a few more miles in, if I haven't got time I'll do a shorter ride.

Slick

Guru
As I'm now working from home, I'm doing a few rides midweek with Mrs Slick of around 10 to 15 miles but as I'm also involved in the 50k a month challenge, I try and push at least a few up to that distance and there is normally a few sportives completed by now but due to obvious reasons the smattering of bigger rides have disappeared this year. :sad:

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The train journey ride is always fun. Do you need to do A to B and back to A? To me this sounds like out and back on the same route? Could you create small loops?

One aspect of lockdown I've enjoyed is it has forced me to join up roads I regularly ride in new ways. This effectively creates new routes.
No, I do loops but psychologically, to me, riding to a point and then turn round and back , even a different way, doesn't feel the same as going all the way to another point. I hope you see what I mean.:okay:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used to do 40 to 50 mile rides before I bust my collar bone but since then I've lost a lot of muscle in my shoulders so I find about 2 hours or 25 to 30 miles my optimum now before it becomes an actual pain.

At the moment the mojo is low due to depression and I'm riding very little. Hard to believe I've done 60, 80 and 100 mile sportive events in the last few years.

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Über Member
I've been doing mostly 20 mile rides, doing two 10 mile loops with about 630 ft of elevation gain for each loop. I'm getting ready to head out this morning and its been several days since I've ridden so I want to see if I can up it to 30 today. We'll see.

Top Bottom