How long are your rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
When the world was normal, I would ride 10 to 15 miles at lunchtime when working from home, twice a week; and 30 to 40 miles at the weekend. Added to that my commute, but that's only just about six miles roundtrip, thre days a week.

No commute now, and with the children at home, no lunchtime rides either. On the other hand, we ride between 5 and 10 two or three times a week as a family, and I get one or two 15 mile evening loops per week, and long rides resumed in may, so my mileage is actually up.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
when the cafes etc reopen i hope to be back to my routine of cycle commute 10 miles each way and a 60 ish on a sunday

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
I'm normally time limited so my rides are around the two hour mark. Distance depends on which bike and where I'm riding but anywhere between 10 and 30 miles.

Old jon

Guru
How long are my rides? So far this year (I keep a spreadsheet) I have had 59 rides and covered 1700.5 miles. So, an average of just under 29 miles per ride. Fourteen and a half miles being the shortest, forty three and a bit the longest. Like most folk, I guess, I tend to ride further in the warmer months. Can’t wait for the next ride but will have to wait until my Achilles heals itself.

Reactions: C R

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
FWIW I reckon the bulk of my rides fall between 20 and 30 miles. Last month I managed 560 miles over 21 rides so an average of around 27 miles.

I rarely do anything less than about 15-20 miles (unless it's a short recovery ride / mosey around the city) and the most I've done is about 65 miles IIRC.

If you want to up the mileage you need to pace yourself; for this I've found the use of a heart rate monitor invaluable.

That aside it's not all about numbers; if you're enjoying / comfortable with what you're currently achieving, no need to change it :smile:

johnnyb47

Guru
I usually ride around 30/40 miles a day and occasionally do the odd 60+.
It doesn't matter want distance you do, just so long you enjoy it. Hopefully if I've got a job to go back to after furlough my mileages will no doubt drop a little

pjd57

Veteran
Doing about half my normal miles just now.
Mainly shorter runs just now trying to stay reasonably close to home.

Hopefully when some form of normality returns I will mix in a few longer rides.
Going back to the op though , for a long ride I need a plan of where I am going , what time etc or I end up on autopilot and do a familiar loop

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
3807A18C-51B4-446C-A409-2CC27FF4A1FC.jpeg

Thanks to CV19 I have been grounded working at home rather than travelling all week. As a result I got the bike out and decided to commute to ‘work’. A 10 miler along the sea front got my cycling mojo back after a long decline. Sometimes I’ll get up to 20 in before brekkie. Weekends now have at least one 40 to 50 miler and depending where can be very lumpy.
100 milers, 200km audax used to be well within my abilities (even a solo 350km 4 years ago), so I have a way to go...but am getting there.
Lost over half a stone and 3” off my waistline...

25D68774-B851-49EC-8EB4-4DA1F525E97C.jpeg

40796553-E414-42C0-BC85-E1389BA684F0.jpeg

colly

Re member eR
My rides average about 27 miles. I like longer rides, when I'm in the mood, and would do more but despite supposedly being retired I always seem to be short of time.
Not always though. :rolleyes:

Since the lockdown my mileage has increased. I now do a 20-25 mile ride every other day. I.5 to 2 hours at a time is as much as I want to do and doesn't eat too much into the day.

Buoyed by my increasing stamina and the fine weather I decided to up my mileage and rode from Cardiff to Merthyr and back, about 44 miles, on consecutive days last week. What a stupid mistake! My knee started to get quite stiff and painful the next day so I am now going to have to cut back for a while until the problem is gone.

I will stick to 20-25 miles in future, apart from the occasional longer ride.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Slowly building up the time I can spend on rides as work winds down... two hours max at moment- 2 to 3 times a week.
Mrs A_T enjoys going out on the tandem regularly for about an hour which is slower but just as much fun.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
View attachment 528797

Thanks to CV19 I have been grounded working at home rather than travelling all week. As a result I got the bike out and decided to commute to ‘work’. A 10 miler along the sea front got my cycling mojo back after a long decline. Sometimes I’ll get up to 20 in before brekkie. Weekends now have at least one 40 to 50 miler and depending where can be very lumpy.
100 milers, 200km audax used to be well within my abilities (even a solo 350km 4 years ago), so I have a way to go...but am getting there.
Lost over half a stone and 3” off my waistline...

View attachment 528795

View attachment 528796
Do you not get back to Abingdon much these days FF? Our son moved there five years ago or so so we really enjoyed visits to see him before the lockdown. Some lovely walks by the Thames and the canal. Hoping to take the tandem down when we're allowed out again.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Do you not get back to Abingdon much these days FF? Our son moved there five years ago or so so we really enjoyed visits to see him before the lockdown. Some lovely walks by the Thames and the canal. Hoping to take the tandem down when we're allowed out again.
Before lockdown, yes a bit to see family and friends (which is hard when away most weeks). It’s a lovely place and location. Cycling is great and Oxford wonderful!
I hope your Son feels settled there? Does he cycle?
FF

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I used to commute 20 miles a day, average maybe 100 miles a week. Since lockdown thats gone up a little as I now commute to home every morning, 20- 25 miles each day, with a slightly longer 30 mile or so on one of the weekend days.
The Cyclechat challenges are good for getting longer rides in, I did the 100km a month for a couple of years, and even braved the 100 miles a month for one. Doing all 3 is tough.

Top Bottom