How long before a hosepipe ban?

• Tomorrow

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Next week

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • Bleh! I’ll still use it anyway. My bike needs to be clean and shiny

Votes: 15 38.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My hosepipe is about 10m long before the ban. I'll let you know how long it is after.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
With the moorland fire issues in my part of the country there has been some talk on the news about water supply continuity and suggestions were made that consumers should be sensible and conserve water where possible.
i guess that is the opening shot in the process that leads to a hosepipe ban being introduced.
i reckon if we dont get any proper rainfall in the next two weeks then a hosepipe ban will be rushed in shortly after. My money is on a ban being put in place on or before July 20th if the rain doesn't come.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Talking to the groundsman at a local cricket club the other day. He says he's watering the pitch then covering it with the covers which they use to keep rain OFF the pitch. I've even notice the turf in the cemetery is shrinking. It's about an inch from the graves now. It's like a dried up bath sponge that will open up when wet again. If it carries on then i'm going for a ban being introduced in about a month. Is this summer drier, warmer than the one of 1976,we always hear about? I think it's going to better it!:sun:

Edit...As long as Mr Palm's getting watered i'm happy! If they introduce a ban around here i'll have to sneak out late at night to give him his recommended 2 liters of water every two days.:secret: :whistle:

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
It's a strange industry. Also gas and electric.

They are selling a metered product, but then ask you to not use it or to use it sparingly. What happens to their profit margin? Perhaps it would be better to encourage use and make more money and reinvest into improving the supply, renewable energy etc.

Drago

Legendary Member
I like to annoy by neighbours by whipping out a hose pipe to fill a bucket.

Last time the water companies uttered dark warnings about a ban it started to rain, and didn't stop for 2 years.

Up to a third of pumping capacity is lost through leakage in the distribution network. The companies shou,d jnest some of their profits in sorting it before baing allowed to impose a ban. Perhaps a law that any firm with over 10% leakage losses should not be allowed to impose bans? The water firms counter this, saying it would take years, even decades to fix the network, to which I reply to the effect that the sooner they start the better.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have about 4,000 litres stored underground, would a ban apply to that?

Top Bottom