How long does a No Claims Bonus last for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
My mum, who is a dreadful driver, was once boasting that she'd never had an accident. I replied, "aye, but you've seen dozens in you rear view mirrors". She agreed that she had without realising the implications of the admission.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
NCD is valid for 2 years. After that, some companies may have some leeway to give you the full amount while other companies will give you a percentage of what you had as a gesture of goodwill. The amounts will vary from company to company.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I'm thinking off getting rid of my car when the insurance runs out at the beginning of November.
I currently have the maximum '9 years or more' no claims bonus. Does anybody know how long it will be before I lose it if I don't renew my insurance?
I've been told my no claims bonus will go down to zero in one go after two years.
I wouldn't worry, I went without a car for three years and hence had no NCB when I got another car. But by the time 25% was knocked off for being a new customer, 10 % for doing it online, another chunk off because they have a special offer on, another chunk because it was a Tuesday, another bit because I'm such a nice guy, it ended up being £10 more (250 as opposed to 240). After the first year they automatically gave me five years NCB. Shop around each year and you'll save loads. I have no qualms changing every year and online comparison makes it so easy. Mind you, Direct Line aren't on the comparison sites so I always check them as well as I've always found their prices keen, and they were great when my wife once claimed from them.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I typed in '3 years no claims', then '25+years no claims' for the same car. All the quotes were more or less the same:rolleyes:. 400 plus quid insurance for
no claims since 1996 and only 3 points on my license in 41 years is a fecking rip off!!!:cursing::ninja:

vickster

Legendary Member
I typed in '3 years no claims', then '25+years no claims' for the same car. All the quotes were more or less the same:rolleyes:. 400 plus quid insurance for
no claims since 1996 and only 3 points on my license in 41 years is a fecking rip off!!!:cursing::ninja:
Try a different postcode...like the place by the seaside you were considering. Do you have off street parking, if not that’ll hike the cost if a ‘high risk’ area

When did you get the points?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Try a different postcode...like the place by the seaside you were considering. Do you have off street parking, if not that’ll hike the cost if a ‘high risk’ area

When did you get the points?
How can I change the post code when surely that'll make my insurance invalid if I had to make a claim? I suppose I could tell 'em I have off road parking. The 3 points were given to me some 20 years ago for having a cracked headlight. The car hadn't moved for weeks. Someone must've kicked it or something like that.

Drago

Legendary Member
What he doesn't mention is that he cracked the headlight when he ran over than nun.

vickster

Legendary Member
How can I change the post code when surely that'll make my insurance invalid if I had to make a claim? I suppose I could tell 'em I have off road parking. The 3 points were given to me some 20 years ago for having a cracked headlight. The car hadn't moved for weeks. Someone must've kicked it or something like that.
I meant you could move somewhere in a lower risk bracket. That’s probably why your insurance costs so much.
I didn’t mean lie :rolleyes:

You don’t have to mention the points after 5 years. They expire :rolleyes:
Your new licence (with new address) should reflect that

Top Bottom