How long does a No Claims Bonus last for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I'm thinking off getting rid of my car when the insurance runs out at the beginning of November.
I currently have the maximum '9 years or more' no claims bonus. Does anybody know how long it will be before I lose it if I don't renew my insurance?
I've been told my no claims bonus will go down to zero in one go after two years.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I heard that it is 18 months, but the safest way to find out for certain is to ring your insurer and ask the question.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Depends on the insurance company.
Some will only you to allow you to carry it forward a year, others more.

Most are sensible if you can prove you've remainded incident and claim free and will offer some discount based on that.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I inherited no claims from my wife via the same company when she stopped driving last year after her stroke as i was a named driver on the policy , although i got the same level of no claims its unprotected for the 1st year.

vickster

Legendary Member
This is the problem, people think no claims is important, it's not. I stuck with an insurer for ages and all they did was hike my premiums. I later could have saved much more by swapping providers every year and shopping around.
Yes but you’ll get an even better price from other providers with NCB ime

aferris2

Guru
Direct Line say 2 years if we stay with them or 1 year if we move to someone else. I'll find out in a year when I try to restart my insurance.

Drago

Legendary Member
2 years is the norm, some 3. If you carry on driving - say in a company or Motability car - with no claims then some insurers will reinstate 4 or 5 years if you start with a policy of your own again.

Some insurers - Saga and Halifax to name but two - count years beyond 9. I'm up to 33 years NCB and always shop about for insurers that do that, hence only paying £102 full comp. It would be even less but I paid for the NCB protection.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
This is the problem, people think no claims is important, it's not. I stuck with an insurer for ages and all they did was hike my premiums. I later could have saved much more by swapping providers every year and shopping around.

I swap providers every year and my NCD comes with me, is that not what you experienced?

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm with the man from Glasgow - I shop around every year, and then go back to my insurer to see they'll better it. Sometimes they do and I stay, sometimes they don't and I walk.

It does annoy me that I have to threaten to leave to get the best quote, but that is sadly how the game is played. The whole industry is crooked, make estate agents look pious.

D

Deleted member 1258

I came back to driving after a thirty year break and with no checkable history had to build up my no claims from scratch, made my insurance expensive for a few years.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Every year I swap the policy holder between my wife and myself so we can both keep our no claims. I would be interested to know if I could do this every 2 years or even more as it is a bit of extra work. It seems that there is no fixed rule, so I have to keep doing what I am doing to be safe.

Top Bottom